Cumberland is with Exeter, Ajax and Achilles when they encounter Graf Spee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumberland is with Exeter, Ajax and Achilles when they encounter Graf Spee

In reality Cumberland was receiving a self refit in the Falklands at the time of the battle, only joining up with the squadron afterwards. But what if she was with the squadron as she was supposed to be at the Battle of the River Plate? Would the force have been strong enough to sink Graf Spee? How would Harwood have changed his tactics?
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    How would Harwood have changed his tactics?
    A heavy cruiser and a light cruiser on each side of the GS I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post

A heavy cruiser and a light cruiser on each side of the GS I assume?
      In real life Harwood split his force with Exeter on in side and Achilles and Ajax on the other. However this may have been a mistake as it allowed GS to concentrate on knocking out Exeter before turning on the two CLs.

While having tso CAs would make splitting nit quite so bad it still gives GS the opportunity to deal with its opponents in detail. Better to concentrate the British force so that GS would not be able to avoid the fire from any.

Comment

With only two turrets, it really lessened chances of hitting if you were firing at separate targets. I know they did it, but it was a matter of desperation.
        Whether they sunk her or not is more a matter of blocking her way into Montevideo. If she still had an escape route, she would've run.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          With only two turrets, it really lessened chances of hitting if you were firing at separate targets. I know they did it, but it was a matter of desperation.
          Whether they sunk her or not is more a matter of blocking her way into Montevideo. If she still had an escape route, she would've run.
          I would presume that GS would concentrate on Cumberland in the hope of quickly disabling her. Could work if Harwood again split his force. Otherwise GS would be overwhelmed.

Comment

From my reading, I believe that Harwood intended to follow exactly the same tactics as before, and had even sent the same signal to Cumberland as he had previously sent to Exeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Doveton Sturdee View Post
              From my reading, I believe that Harwood intended to follow exactly the same tactics as before, and had even sent the same signal to Cumberland as he had previously sent to Exeter.
              Which gives GS a chance. Harwood's error in real life was splitting his force and allowing GS to defeat him in detail.

Comment

I think even with Harwood splitting his force, Graf Spee is screwed. Graf Spee was only marginally superior to the squadron it faced at Plate as it was. And that margin can be debated ad nauseum. With Cumberland, she's going to tote the whooping that Exeter originally did, though her actual damage could vary wildly from less than what Exeter received on up to being a harbinger of what would happen to Hood later on. Presuming that GS doesn't 'one shot' Cumberland fairly early on in the fight though, having a total of 14 x 8in guns, and 6 of those unengaged, firing on GS, plus the 6in harassing fire, is going to result in a LOT more damage and ensure that GS doesn't make it....and possibly that GS is forced to beach or be abandoned due to battle damage without making port in Uruguay.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  I think even with Harwood splitting his force, Graf Spee is screwed. Graf Spee was only marginally superior to the squadron it faced at Plate as it was. And that margin can be debated ad nauseum. With Cumberland, she's going to tote the whooping that Exeter originally did, though her actual damage could vary wildly from less than what Exeter received on up to being a harbinger of what would happen to Hood later on. Presuming that GS doesn't 'one shot' Cumberland fairly early on in the fight though, having a total of 14 x 8in guns, and 6 of those unengaged, firing on GS, plus the 6in harassing fire, is going to result in a LOT more damage and ensure that GS doesn't make it....and possibly that GS is forced to beach or be abandoned due to battle damage without making port in Uruguay.
                  It will be difficult for GS, best chance would be as in real life, to close range as fast as possible on the most powerful opponent in the hope of rapidly neutralizing them. It is still going to be difficult whether Harwood puts the two 8" together or has one eight inch and one six inch in each pair. Unlikely to be a deck penetration leading to magazine explosion as range would be too close.

As an aside I think that if Harwood had concentrated his forces in real life he could have probably beaten GS. GS had a free hand in neutralising Exeter while Achilles and Ajax were too far away to effectively intervene. If they had all been close together that would not have been possible and GS would have been hit a lot more in the early stages of the engagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

It will be difficult for GS, best chance would be as in real life, to close range as fast as possible on the most powerful opponent in the hope of rapidly neutralizing them. It is still going to be difficult whether Harwood puts the two 8" together or has one eight inch and one six inch in each pair. Unlikely to be a deck penetration leading to magazine explosion as range would be too close.

As an aside I think that if Harwood had concentrated his forces in real life he could have probably beaten GS. GS had a free hand in neutralising Exeter while Achilles and Ajax were too far away to effectively intervene. If they had all been close together that would not have been possible and GS would have been hit a lot more in the early stages of the engagement.
                    I wasn't necessarily speaking to an exact replication of Hood's destruction. But Exeter or a County don't really have belts that can withstand 11in shellfire, so the possibility of a golden BB hit....mostly for precision not for armor penetration that would have been a given....is always present.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X