Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why, after subdueing the indians, the United States...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
    However, the rich generaly stay that way for only 4 or 5 generations here, the spiled rich kids dont have the drive that the founders of the family did, and either fritter it away or drop out of the true elietist circles.
    The first generation creates the wealth. The next generation enjoys the wealth. The last generation loses the wealth.

Of course like all simplifications this does not allow for advantages of a child growing up wealthy. Large families can often turn up one or two each generation anoung the cousins who can keep the wealth growing or at least intact.

Freed from the shakles of a Euro-style Aristocracy that to this day concentraits the wealth into the hads of a few pale-skinned families, the Mexican states would have been much better off (the richest man on Earth is a Mexican, named Slim)
    I`d think the south Mexican territorrys would have been dominated by white Anglo elites, much like the New Mexico and California territorys were. Sone of the old Spanish `Hidalgos` would have been swept aside, others would have accomidated themselves to the new situation.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
      oh, in the third world, the very rich elite are vastly more crooked and corrupt than everywhere else. it's not a white-man only desease by far! it's human.

now, true enough that some economic systems are better for honest wealth creation - the USA comes to mind. europe is gettign better, but might reverse back, due to the EU - after centuries of elitism - for sure that's a reason why so many europeans left tyrannical and economically blocked europe for the hopes of americas.

- to get back to the question. if manifest destiny would continue until stopped, until where would it go - surely cuba would be a state, Mexico could be a few ones as well, but where else would the movement of "go south young man" go?

It did continue until it reached its end, at the Pacific Ocean.

Propaganda about US "Imperialism" were proven false over a century ago, even before it was utterly buried by the Atlantic Charter. Cuba, long thought to be a target, was made into a soverieghn nation by us, and the Phillipeans in 1946, well before the great die-off of European Colonialism.

I have NO idea why Puerto Rico is still a territotry of ours, none whatsoever. Scrape 'em off, I say.

Comment

I have NO idea why Puerto Rico is still a territotry of ours, none whatsoever. Scrape 'em off, I say.
        Check the history of the various independance movements and statehood partys in Puerto Rico. Then there are the various votes in the legislator and a plebicite or two. In the 1950s & early 60s a lot of folks thought statehood was just around the corner for PR. It seemed a more likely candidate than Hawaii back in those days.

Comment

I have long been a proponent of the "in or out" vote for Puerto Rico. They should become the 51st American stae or the newest sovreign and independent nation to join the UN.

It is they who have voted to continue commonwealth status in repeated elections.
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

A true imperial America

We have fought and won wars with just about everyone around the world, but by failing to absorb our full victories has left us vulnerable in a number of areas. Between the Revolution and 1812 we had full claim to Canada and any number of British colonies, but gave up almost everything (and where did the terrorists enter America from). Against Spain we took several possesions, but could have sucured all of Central and South America, as well as Cuba (throughout the cold war and the war on drugs we have paid a heavy price for not taking it all). The rise of terrorism is a direct result of the collapse of the colonial system, yet we blind ourselves to the perpetual failure of the UN to fulfill its role, and are condemned for having to act as "world police". Stop wining, the world would be much worse off without America running the show, we just need "to put a boot in ____ ass" more often.
            "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Comment

what about canada in this scenario? would the US also go north?

if I recall correctly there were serious tensions on the statute of British Columbia at some point.
              "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
                I have long been a proponent of the "in or out" vote for Puerto Rico. They should become the 51st American state or the newest sovreign and independent nation to join the UN.

It is they who have voted to continue commonwealth status in repeated elections.
                I understand that Puerto Rico votes to stay a commonwealth every single time because they want to enjoy all of the benefits of the United States economy and protection, but don't want to pay the taxes for it. What a parasitic little island.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                  I understand that Puerto Rico votes to stay a commonwealth every single time because they want to enjoy all of the benefits of the United States economy and protection, but don't want to pay the taxes for it. What a parasitic little island.
                  Follow the money. Much of the politicing for commonwealth status and tax advantages came from US businesses seeking just those tax and legal advantages. One might think United Fruit the most powerfull political bloc in the Carribean and Central America in the early 20th Century.

Comment

Something to consider is that the USA pretty much occupies the entire temperate zone of North America. Go much further south and it becomes tropical, north and it becomes whatever the northern zones are called (Tundra or something). Most of the greatest powers in history have been from the temperate zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                      Follow the money. Much of the politicing for commonwealth status and tax advantages came from US businesses seeking just those tax and legal advantages. One might think United Fruit the most powerfull political bloc in the Carribean and Central America in the early 20th Century.
                      Isn't it about time that excuses stop being made for Latin American bad governments and policies based on the events of a hundred years ago? How many generations is enough?
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X