No announcement yet.

Rice and fall of Civilization.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh - don't get me wrong we have extensive trade routes exporting pigs, rice, dye, incense, spices, fish, bananas, iron, and probably much more.

Imports include corn, cotton among others.

We have an army of workers that descend on each new city to improve the land around it and bring any resources found on line.

And indeed they allow our cities to grow much larger, raise health levels and probably helped us avoid most plagues throughout history.

They also make our citizens happy, they often tell me how they "love their luxurious resources"

But, there's not much in the way of strategic decisons to be made there, we import what we can't grow oursleves, exploit what we find, and sell what is in demand.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 12 Feb 20, 04:05.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

• Be careful with your expansion. Ryse and fall will punish you for getting too big. Sometimes it is better to level a city than get bigger. Sometimes it is even better to leave an enemy city alone to keep your culture check in balance. Vassals are most useful in getting you what you want without overextending.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• That is indeed why I held off conquering Japan entirely or settling in Mongol lands, but I fear if we don't, the Russian will…

Similarly those Spice islands will probably be settled by Khmer, if not by us.

Northern Japanese cities have high foreign culture, Tokyo for example is only 13% Chinese iirc.

Vassal States are limited to 4 - we have 3 now, I'm half expecting either the Japanese or the Mongols to make a comeback at some point...

I suspect we could stagnate and "cruise" to the end game in 2020, we really don't *need* more land.

But that would make for a boring game and give me little to do.

The game also wants me to keep GNP growing, to remain stable.

Balance will be key, I suspect.

Your advice will be taken into account sir, tnx.
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 12 Feb 20, 05:16.

Comment

• In the early 18th century a new plague is reported, in Europe this time, given our trade connections it’s just a matter of time before it spreads to our lands, so our workers are spread out over our cities again to shield our military.

This is bound to cause economic problems, so I limit our expansion to a small expedition to the Philippines, the population there is fairly friendly towards us, and there are no organized foreign settlements atm. so negative effects on stability should be minimal.

With little else to do for the moment, I send one of our agents to Russia to investigate the political landscape of Europe and to keep our vassal from growing so large that they may actually pose a threat to our interests in future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Reilly

Newspapers dubbed him "the greatest spy in history" and "the Scarlet Pimpernel of Red Russia".[15] The London Evening Standard described his exploits in an illustrated serial in May 1931 headlined "Master Spy". Ian Fleming used him as a model for James Bond in his novels (set in the early Cold War).[16] Reilly is considered to be "the dominating figure in the mythology of modern British espionage".[17]
          The "Ace of Spies", should be fun…

Russia is actually a fairly modern and liberal state when he arrives, it’s a representative republic led by a central bureaucracy now.

We can't have that, so his first job will be develop a intelligence network there, and then stage a royalist coup.

Beside the Plague, there are 2 wars ongoing in Europe, one between the Germans and the Turks and Arabs, and another between the Normans and the Portugese.

All involved would be all too happy to ally with us and our Russian vassal, but for the moment I do not commit to any particular course of action.
          Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Feb 20, 07:39.

Comment

• In 1724 AD the Plague hits Shengyang, a few years later Beijing, Port Arthur etc., it pretty much follows the same pattern as before, but high health ratings and the workers prevent the worst of it.

Our worker force is now down to 14 where it was 25 at one point, and so we start building some new ones.

in 1730 Tianjin is founded, it is located on the Phillpines roughly where you'd expect Davao to be, I might rename it later but for the moment it's just a fishing village and a copper mine, and a base from where to observe what goes on among the Spice Islands.

GNP is 985.
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Feb 20, 03:26.

Comment

• 1730 is an interesting year,

Reilly, backed by Chinese wealth, succeeds in instigating a royalist coup in Russia, the liberals and republicans oppose it ofcourse, and civil war breaks out in Russia.

The royalists gain control of the army though, so if the nation survives it will emerge as Monarchy in our own image.

Nevertheless they continue to expand into Central Russia towards Siberia, their land area is now actually bigger than ours, but our population is still 3 times theirs.

I convince the Vikings to end their war with Portugal, and enter into a Mutual Protection pact with me and Russia.

I'm thinking if I can involve the Russians in a European war, they may be less inclined to expand east, downside is of course China will be at war too.

We'll see….a small expedition force is sent to Europe just to have something there if war breaks out, they have a long trek to make though, despite being the most mobile land units I could find.
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Feb 20, 03:45.

Comment

• In the Americas, Chinese airships take off from Tampico to bomb Dog Soldiers raiding Aztec farm lands, they inflict 20% damage, which changes absolutely nothing, but it is the first airstrike in recorded history, I'm very proud of them

In 1736 I'm approached by a gentleman planter called Washington, he's the leader of a band of European colonists in the Americas who have declared their independence from their English overlords.

For the moment they only control a small piece of land and a single city surrounded by English and French colonies, but they have a lot of settlers and a decent army and they are more active than the Aztecs, who just seem to sit in the sun and do nothing much else.

Impressed by our aerial bombardment and looking for strong allies Washington has offered to become our 4th vassal, an offer I readily accept thus setting the stage for a World War in the near future.

Back home, the Plague takes its toll and our GNP falls to 898, we're still stable but I expect us to drop back to shaky soon.
                Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Feb 20, 04:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                  In the Americas, Chinese airships take off from Tampico to bomb Dog Soldiers raiding Aztec farm lands, they inflict 20% damage, which changes absolutely nothing, but it is the first airstrike in recorded history, I'm very proud of them

In 1736 I'm approached by a gentleman planter called Washington, he's the leader of a band of European colonists in the Americas who have declared their independence from their English overlords.

For the moment they only control a small piece of land and a single city surrounded by English and French colonies, but they have a lot of settlers and a decent army and they are more active than the Aztecs, who just seem to sit in the sun and do nothing much else.

Impressed by our aerial bombardment and looking for strong allies Washington has offered to become our 4th vassal, an offer I readily accept thus setting the stage for a World War in the near future.

Back home, the Plague takes its toll and our GNP falls to 898, we're still stable but I expect us to drop back to shaky soon.
                  I hate to bear the bad news, Tai Pan- but those pigs were shipped to the Aztecs. well, we got them form Hernando de Soto's farms...
                  them
                  Aztecs- is now was- past tense.....
                  The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• In 1739 the American revolution reaches a climax, Boston, New York and Savannah expell their English garrisons and join Washington's rebellion, not in the least through my machinations in previous years, the English suddenly find themselves at war with a coalition of China, Russia, Khmer, Aztec, Vikings, Maya and Americans….

I had hoped they'd have at least a few allies, to make for a more balanced war, but such things are unpredictable

In 1742 one of our caravels that carelessly ended its turn in Spanish waters is sunk by an English frigate, other caravels around Europe are repositioned to places where the English can't get to them.

In revenge we sink an English caravel near the Philippines, otherwise the war remains cold for us, although the French too join the war against the English.

We expand our territory into Siberia, but stick to the coast to avoid Mongol lands, the city of Kisi is founded there.

In 1745 the Russian civil war comes to an end, and Catharina is now Tsarina of Russia, as her primary backer, we of course enjoy our near perfect relations.

Washingtons Americans hit this game like a ton of bricks, they found Indianapolis this year, and Minneapolis the next, their army is massive, actually larger than mine was during the Mongol War...

By 1754 the Plague is waning, our research is focused on Medicine to prevent future outbreaks.

GNP is back to 945 and rising, still stable, maybe the time for a military campaign ?
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Feb 20, 04:08.

Comment

• Our airships combined with our existing spy network mean that for the first time we have some understanding of what goes on in the rest of the world and we can develop a true foreign policy.

The Turks have broken into India after the collapse of the Indian civ. there, the English have massive civil unrest on account of being at war with just about everybody, but for now they hold it together.

The Spanish are at war with the Germans, the Vikings have taken Inverness.

Overall - I don't see anything that could be remotely considered a threat to to our Kingdom at this point, although both the Russians and the Americans have the potential to grow larger in future than we are now.
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Feb 20, 05:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                        The princess, who's over 75 years old now, is married off to a Russian prince, in return they agree to become our vassals.

I play on untill 1500AD, GNP is back to 490, but we're still "Shaky" unfortunately.
                        That was princess Mae West , Tai Pan.
                        Fortunate, as her underwiring costs were a serious drain on your treasury....
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• You need to find oil and uranium. There is oil in the gobi desert. Uranium I forget if you have it naturally or not, but a colony in nth aus will get you some. By memory if you have airships then uranium should be revealed. Not sure though. Been a while
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                            You need to find oil and uranium. There is oil in the gobi desert. Uranium I forget if you have it naturally or not, but a colony in nth aus will get you some. By memory if you have airships then uranium should be revealed. Not sure though. Been a while
                            We've found oil in Gobi indeed, our engineers are trying to figure out what do with it, a road has been constructed to get there quickly when they do.

Uranium I'd have to check, but I think it's somewhere in our borders.

Australia, there's a small English colony there, may be an idea to organize an expedition since we're at war with them anyway

Comment

• And so in 1757 preparations are made for an expedition to Australia.

First we contact the Khmer to inform them of our intentions and ask if maybe they can offer some support.

We also contact Washington, not to involve him in this affair, but to ask if he wouldn’t be happier as a King than as a President.

I got the idea here :

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...k-trump-is-bad

Much to our surprise, but true to history apparently, he immediately agrees (for a small compensation obviously), causing a second civil war this time between the American Royalists and, presumably, the Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans

Comment

• Now that I can see what they're doing, I'm quite impressed with the AI civs in this game,

the Turks for example, having conquered India for the most part despite difficult jungle terrain and being seperated form it by the Arabs, have now decided to grant independence to the Indian cities and make India their vassal state,

that's something you'd expect a human player to do....

The Khmer, our allies since the early MA, at our simple request, have mounted a expedition to Australia, reached it before we did, and even stormed and taken one of the English cities there, using a small combined arms force, impressive.
                                Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 Feb 20, 04:23.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X