No announcement yet.

Rice and fall of Civilization.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our treasure department has drawn my attention to something called GNP, it's a measure of all goods and services we produce in a specified time, and we need to keep it growing slowly, but steadily, to keep our cities happy and the kingdom together.

It's called "economics", or it will be once we fully research it, sounds like witchcraft to me, but whatever

For the record : now our GNP is 129.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 10 Jan 20, 05:02.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Just as I sit down to write this report, a messenger storms into the palace with news of a "massive" barbarian uprising, unfortunately he can't tell me where, but he does know they call themselves the Vedic Aryans, so I assume North India.

We'll try to get scouts near them asap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_period

Originally posted by Michele View Post
      (…) and maybe it's time to engage in some military campaigning...
      Maybe it is yes, but considering the timescale, distances involved and limited abilities of force projection at this early date, don't expect spectacular results.

But we will send our military to help our Indian neighbours and investigate the threat of those new barbarians to ourselves.

(…)

A fugitive running from Chinese justice is rumoured to have been captured by the Japanese, they haven't formally contacted us though despite our pleasant relations, so I must assume they're trying to turn him into a double agent, our own agents have been ordered to Japan to counteract.

Other sanctions are under consideration.
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 10 Jan 20, 05:12.

Comment

Have you switched to an Iron based economy? Bronze is great but Iron makes a better weapon.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that, but your gold and woman look too good not to want to take - Rojik the Barbarian
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            Have you switched to an Iron based economy? Bronze is great but Iron makes a better weapon.

Pruitt
            Yes quite some time ago, didn't mention it because at the time it didn't make a lot of difference.

Iron in this game is important in the ME when it is a requirement for crossbows, pikemen, macemen, knights etc..

In the actual Iron age it allows you swordsmen mostly, but they are only marginally better than (bronze) axemen.

1 vs.1 swords lose to axes even.

Also Iron tends to "trigger" upgraded barbarians, before Iron you face "Stone Age" barbarians mostly warriors, basic archers, etc..

Comment

And so in 610 AD we finally finish our research into Musical Theory, we are the first to do so, and consequently we are rewarded with what the game calls a "great artist", a hero-unit if you will, with various special abilities.

They're given a random historical name, in this case "Johann Sebastian Bach" - it seems strange that with all the effort to make this game follow an historical track, they did not make a list of Chinese "great artists" to pick from, presumably there's a technical reason for that.

Bach will accompany our Korean expedition, and is used to expand the sphere of influence the newfounded city there, Hancheng, our 7th city, and the one that secures the Korean peninsula for us, for now.

The few Japanese farmers remaining there are quickly driven off, hardly a military campaign to speak of.
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Jan 20, 04:43.

Comment

In the West our Confucian missionary is ambushed and butchered by horsearchers while trying to cross the Ukrainian plain, dealing a severe blow to our diplomatic efforts there.

But the main news comes from the Southern front....

Despite sending numerous agents, and scouting as far West as the Persian border and Tibet, and South halfway the Indian subcontinent, we are unable to find the Vedic Aryans, or indeed any sign of them.

Maybe the Indians defeated them, or maybe they settled down with the gold and the good-looking women, idk.

Much worse, it turns out that none of our military units can move through "jungle" and "marsh" terrain, and as Pruitt predicted some time ago, our entire Southern border is covered with it, basically ruling out any military effort in that direction

I did some research and this seems to be the case for almost all civilisations, the only ones that can move through jungle are specific "jungle civs" Maya, Incans, Aztecs etc. and our Southern neighbours the Khmer.

Other civs must wait for modern Marines, helicopters etc. to operate in jungle terrain (probably setting the scene for a Vietnam style modern war in SE Asia) or discover "Biology" which enables our workers to simply clear jungle and turn it into grassland.

So - some other method had to be found to secure our Southern border, and spread our influence past the Jungle Line, I tracked down the Khmer leader and made him an offer to become a vassal of the Kingdom of China (along with a sizeable donation obviously) and he agreed.

With the Khmer now covering our Southern border, our own forces can be redirected North, although our relations with just about everybody have deteriorated a bit as a result of having a vassal now.
                Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Jan 20, 07:45.

Comment

I pause the game at 700AD, GNP 173.

This deserves to be mentioned,

we managed to buy elephants from India, a smaller, more sturdy breed that should be able to survive in the North, 3 divisions have been ordered and have been training and assembling, soon the first will be ready for service,

they move through jungle if needed, but may be more useful scaring horses in the North
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Jan 20, 07:49.

Comment

Well we continue to build infrastructure and military units, 5 divisions of elephants are recruited, as well 5 divs of modern knights along with various other units, we will be ready for the Mongols when they come for us

We're working on designing/building caravels they should allow us to break out of isolation and establish permanent contact with Europe and help our economy and research.

In the West the "old empires" collapse one by one, first the Egyptians, Babylonians, Romans too, all disolve into their separate city states.

New ones take their place, Vikings, French, English, Germans, Russians, I'm presumably missing some.

In 770AD a new hero appears, a Great Merchant this time, suitably called Zheng He.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

He's sent to India on a trade mission, rather than make the now dangerous trek over land West, the cash is used to upgrade obsolete divisions with modern weapons.

220px-Zhen_he.jpg
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 15 Jan 20, 05:08.

Comment

I play on untill 900AD - it's increasingly difficult to keep our GNP steadily rising.

With just a few cities there's a direct relation between my actions and GNP, but with 7 cities it's not always clear what exactly makes it go up and down each turn.

GNP is 233 now, nevertheless the rating bureaus downgrade my "economic" rating from 3 stars, to 2, why exactly is not clear.

Overall our kingdom is "Stable" where it was "Solid" or even "Very Solid" when it was smaller....

Comment

Our first caravel will be ready to depart next turn, second soon after,

where shall I send them ? West around India, or East into the great unknown ?
                        Last edited by Snowygerry; 16 Jan 20, 03:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                          Our first caravel will be ready to depart next turn, second soon after,

where shall I send them West aroud India, or East into the great unknown ?
                          South by east . Bora bora, Tahiti , etc.
                          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Send the Caravels where the money is. You are close to the Spice Islands and do some exploring in various directions. Be aware that the Pacific West Coast of North America is beset with Tsunamis. The Hawaiian Islands are rich in Sandal Wood. Potential trading partners could be found in Mesoamerica and the Andes, and they have Gold.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

You have Mongols coming. Walls, castles and archers. Oh and spears. Horses do not like spears. Wear the damage and rebuild. Keep your cities safe. Forget the lands around them
                              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Understood - East the first caravels will go then.

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                                You have Mongols coming. Walls, castles and archers. Oh and spears. Horses do not like spears. Wear the damage and rebuild. Keep your cities safe. Forget the lands around them
                                We have a wall and a castle at Beijing (Macau too but that's in the South), armoured Pikemen deployed in a line of outposts along our Northern border, knights and elephants for the counterattack, catapults and repeating crossbows to attack at range, our axemen have been upgraded to armoured macemen.

We'll see soon enough I guess, tnx.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X