No announcement yet.

Rice and fall of Civilization.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything similar you could build for your empire ?
    You bet there is, a Great Wall on the border for example to keep barbarians out, but more on that later.

First things first, in 750 BC we invented Calendar and shortly after Alphabet, we now have a written history, and so I can write a short report here, before that there were no actual dates in the game, it just said "Bronze Age" everywhere
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

I am still thinking on agriculture. I suggest domestication of chickens, geese, cattle, water buffalo and Hemp. There are several Fruit Trees and Acorn bearing Oaks. Later on using Loons to fish with may be doable. Villagers will know what herbs, edible weeds and roots are around.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well so far we've been following Mark's recommendation to not use rice, we've been living on pig meat, wheat and fish, but rice, bananas, various spices, incense, silk, clams etc. are also available, although most of it not yet cultivated.

Where to send our workers, is indeed one of the decisions we face now, so far I used them to improve our core land, and mostly to settle and prepare Macau, our third city, and the copper mines there.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau

It's also a seaport, and now our trade ships and our small fleet of galleys and triremes shuttle back and forth between the north and south of our empire.

All three of our cities have resources that are in need of further improvement Or the workers could chop down forrests to help construct something of global significance as suggested above, or build a road to connect north to south….?
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Dec 19, 03:34.

Comment

The copper was intrumental to improve the army, in addition to basic warriors, chariots, we now have spearmen and axemen, and also catapults to throw large rocks or flaming pigs at the enemy

We've made contact with India and Japan, both are neutral towards us, the Indians are slightly more friendly though, they proposed we sign a "open borders" treaty that would likely improve relations further.

So where to deploy the army, and how to treat our neighbours is another decision to make...

Comment

Then there's religion.

Both our neighbours are Buddhist, we on the other hand have founded both Confucianism and Taoism, converting to one of those religions may have consequences, especially on the diplomatic front.

For now I haven't accepted anything as the official "state religion", to keep options open, our missionaries are used as diplomats and scouts, one to the south, the other is in Korea to maintan contact with Japan.

And science - for the moment we're investigating better construction techniques, those will be needed should we want to construct the Great Wall mentioned above…

but other options are available, ironworking, horseback riding, better ships, crossbows, you name it.

Once again the final decision is yours
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Dec 19, 04:15.

Comment

Then we need to decide what to build or how to otherwise put our subjects to work, for now we're building military units and a new settler in Port Arthur, but all sorts of options are available.

And we need to decide where to settle next, a "filling" city between Macau and our heartland would seem obvious, on the coast or inland near the rice ?

Or somewhere else entirely ?

And far to the south, towards the Mekong river, elephants have been spotted, domesticating them would make our armies near invincible, but as you predicted the land there is disease ridden marshland, settling there would be hard work and may bring us into conflict with the Khmer, a (now) savage people that live in the jungles there….

Well it's 350 BC. or thereabout - history is about to start,

http://avidworld.weebly.com/uploads/...chapter_08.pdf
              I'll be gone for the weekend as usual, just let me know by monday
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Dec 19, 04:12.

Comment

Well, you'd have to decide whether you want peaceful development (at least for now) or whether you want to conquer a neighboring civilization while it's still not that strong. This choice will dictate much of what you want to build.

By the way, if you choose war, is there a chance of conquering enemy cities and making them yours? Expanding you rempire not just territorially, but including formerly foreign cities into it? I hope so.

The direction of a peaceful or military expansion should dictate the choice between horses and ships, evidently. Personally, I'm partial to ocean-going navies, they give you global reach faster than a land-bound army. Assuming you opt for the latter, then by all means you need a Roman road network, joining the cities first and then extending in the direction of the planned expansion.

If I get it right, you need a city to build something, so you would need four cities at least: one to produce military units, one to create colonists who will found new cities, one for the Great Wall or other significant monument, and one for everything else. If this is not the way things work, could you explain how they do?
                Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                  By the way, if you choose war, is there a chance of conquering enemy cities and making them yours? Expanding you rempire not just territorially, but including formerly foreign cities into it? I hope so.
                  Normally that's the way forward yes, conquer the nearest weak neighbour, incorporate it into your empire and start a "snowball effect" that puts you in dominant position for the future.

This is mod is specifically designed to counter that "snowball effect" though (and thus easy global domination), to quote the wiki above :

One of the main features of Rhye's and Fall of Civilization is the game's ability to monitor the stability of national governments, taking into account war, disease, corruption, invasion, and other factors which might influence the fall of a nation.
                  Rhye's and Fall of Civilization is set on Earth and is designed to mirror a historical Earth as closely as possible. To this end, most civilizations have historically accurate starting locations and times, instead of random starting locations all at 4,000 BC as in a typical game. When a new civilization appears, any foreign cities in its core territory will "flip" to the new civ; this can have the effect of simulating such historical events as the breakup of the Roman Empire and the American Revolution
                  So I would expect that to conquer Japan now, for example, would have serious consequences to the stability of our nation.

For now our stability rating is "stable", we started out as "solid" when we had just 1 city, I suspect the game monitors your expansion and compares it to history or something else, we'll see

If I get it right, you need a city to build something, so you would need four cities at least: one to produce military units, one to create colonists who will found new cities, one for the Great Wall or other significant monument, and one for everything else. If this is not the way things work, could you explain how they do ?
                  That's it yes, military units are somewhat of an exception in that they can also be recruited as "mercenaries" without being produced in a specific city, I suspect they start out in the capital.
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Dec 19, 05:30.

Comment

Shanghai would be a good place to build a port. I am surprised you leapfrogged down to Macau without a Port City on the Yangtze. Also consider building some Canals. This is a great way to provide cheap transport of goods and troops. Building a Civilization will give Barbarian Tribes the inspiration to unite and go find stuff they can use in your country. If you want to station large numbers of troops in the South, Elephants are doable. They will not survive in the North.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      Shanghai would be a good place to build a port. I am surprised you leapfrogged down to Macau without a Port City on the Yangtze.
                      Pruitt
                      I really wanted that copper, I was afraid someone else would settle there first, but the 2 cities to fill the land in between, would be our next logical priority yes.

Settling on the coast is one option, often inland cities are easier to defend though, and we have sea two ports already, but a city on the mouth of the Yangtze is easily done, no prob

Comment

FWIW, good choice. But do fill in any empty space, I'd say.
                        Michele

Comment

Will do, may be a while though, with holidays happening, but not to worry this game is set to go on for 2000 years, or so.

Will pick this up when I've had time to play on a bit, thanks for your input so far, gentlemen

Edit, So no love for the Big Wall against barbarians then ? A waste of resources ?
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Dec 19, 04:22.

Comment

You should consider a set of outposts that can be a base to start a wall. The original wall was a number of older walls that were connected into one Great Wall. I would rather see a canal connecting Yangtze to the original kingdom. That way you can ship supplies and armies more easily.

Pruitt

Comment

So it will be done then

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Well it's a feature apparently - rather than have civs on the map from the start, most "appear" around an historical start date, Greeks being the first.

Since then Persians, Indians (they may have been there from the start), Japanese have made themselves known and all offered me leadership of their civilization, I have made a seperate save where I accepted the Greek proposal, but haven't done anything with it, you're instantly teleported to Athens' location, given a small army (Phalanxes) and can start again there….

A welcome addition to the basic game I'm sure

BTW, Boss, our Ambassador hasn't reported in for a spell....

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X