Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets say FDR lives till...ummm say mid 1948?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lets say FDR lives till...ummm say mid 1948?

    Let's face it 'ole 'Give 'em Hell Harry' had some virtues and some things going for him but he was no FDR - not even close in the big picture at least.
    .
    As with all things alternate lets not worry too much about how we arrive at the starting point of the discussion, suffice to say Roosevelt postpones his appointment with a brain hemorrhage until July 15 1948.

    Why mid 1948?....ummm ...…….because it amuses me perhaps ? or...…. perhaps it does not. The nuances of lodestar thoughts are beyond the comprehension of the primatives that inhabit this benighted planet

    No just messin', lets make it mid '48 so that we limit the issues to how FDR might have handled the late-war and early post -war era and it's problems without the complication of whether he runs for an unprecedented fifth term.

    . Does he drop two A-bombs? I assume he would commit to at least one...otherwise what's the point of building the bloody thing!
    Oh , then again maybe he would settle for a demonstration drop and detonation ten kilometers from the mouth of Toyo Bay with forewarnings of real ugly stuff to follow if they don't sign up pronto for FDR's 'New Deal' for SE Asia and environs?

    . How does he operate without Winnie cramping his style?
    Let's face it FDR had the power and the will to be the main-man and Churchill despite his undoubted greatness was, in their relationship at least, second fiddle.
    How would he have gotten with Attlee?

    . and of course, how does he 'handle' Uncle Joe?

    Many other issues can be debated I'm sure.

    They sure as hell were when I was runnin' just this debate in a tute with just this attitude (smug, pompous, condescending, know-it-all) back in the mid-seventies.

    Regards
    lodestar






  • #2
    Good morning lodestar. Hope you slept well.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    Let's face it 'ole 'Give 'em Hell Harry' had some virtues and some things going for him but he was no FDR - not even close in the big picture at least.
    Truman came in under difficult circumstances. For example, as Vice-President, he wasn't privvey to all the information regarding the atomic bomb. He authorized their use. Now that's presidential. He cashiered General MacArthur. It came later down the road, but it was very presidential and manly.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    No just messin', lets make it mid '48 so that we limit the issues to how FDR might have handled the late-war and early post -war era and it's problems without the complication of whether he runs for an unprecedented fifth term.
    If you look at late war pictures of FDR, he looks tired. I know I would be. I think being president during World War Two, would weaken the strongest man or lady. He might in 1948, just rubber stamp things based on what his trusted advisors told him. I know I would.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    . Does he drop two A-bombs? I assume he would commit to at least one...otherwise what's the point of building the bloody thing!
    When I was a kid growing up, I asked my Dad is dropping two a-bombs on Japan was justified. He was in the navy during World War Two. At Okinawa. You know what he said? Just ask the guys on the transports steaming towards Japan if it was a good idea! Roosevelt would have dropped the two bombs. Three or four if he had too to end the way. It had to end.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    .
    How would he have gotten with Attlee?
    I just finished reading a book on World War Two. I didn't know Churchill was voted out of office. From what I read about Attley, he seemed like an intelligent, decent man. I think to two of them would have worked it out.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    . and of course, how does he 'handle' Uncle Joe?
    I can understand why Stalin wanted to take over countries after what the Germans did to the Soviet Union. I think FDR would have allied with the British to slow Stalin down.

    Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    They sure as hell were when I was runnin' just this debate in a tute with just this attitude (smug, pompous, condescending, know-it-all) back in the mid-seventies.
    That's awesome.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

    Comment

    Latest Topics

    Collapse

    Working...
    X