• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 408 AD: the Empire keeps

I've been fascinated by why the Roman Empire pulled completely out of
    Britain. British silver( cupellated form
    Britain's surface lead / Sliver ores ) was the paymaster of the
    Empire, and a reasonably quiet Britain seems like a wise place to raise and pay new armies. Did the Emperor Honorius jump the gun?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Roman_Britain
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Britain was always a trouble spot, the west was a shambles, the centres still reeling from 378, and the east now an (almost) separate empire.

Like Dacia 100 odd years earlier it had to go to try and save the centre.

I admit that taking the legions away to fight in another of the convoluted civil war was not ideal for the island, but the west was doomed anyway, and keeping the legions there was just a defending the undefendable.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

The mines in Spain were also producing lead and Silver. They were easier to defend. The last Roman Troops in Britain were taken to Gaul to try and stage a coup.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        The mines in Spain were also producing lead and Silver. They were easier to defend. The last Roman Troops in Britain were taken to Gaul to try and stage a coup.

Pruitt
        \Theodosius plac3ed quotas on English silver mining in the third century, as both English lead and silver, in surface ores, were easier to produce and export to Rome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoninus_Pius shows that even a peaceful Rome was in need of silver, as \the denarius had to be adulterated to meet civic building needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          The last Roman Troops in Britain were taken to Gaul to try and stage a coup.

Pruitt
          You're sure about that? It is under my impression that the last of the Roman Troops were withdrawn by Stilicho to defend Italy against King Alaric of the Visigoths and King Radagasius of the Ostrogoths. Who cares about Britain or Gaul when the Italy and Rome were in peril? Rome was about to be sacked for the first time in 800 years.
          Last edited by Salinator; 17 Nov 19, 04:46.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Well, with possibly better leadership in England, they might have done what the Byzantine Empire did. Simply declare / become independent and carry on. The legions in England could have been filled over time with locals rather than Romans from elsewhere while a Roman-like society continued to flourish. The Goths and Huns weren't going to overrun England anytime soon.

So, Rome gets sacked and England becomes a Western version of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

You're sure about that? It is under my impression that the last of the Roman Troops were withdrawn by Stilicho to defend Italy against King Alaric of the Visigoths and King Radagasius of the Ostrogoths. Who cares about Britain or Gaul when the Italy and Rome was in peril? Rome was about to be sacked for the first time in 800 years.
              |Good point-
              I believe that Pruitt was thinking of Maximus Magnus's invasion of Italy in his stab at gaining the emperorship in 383 AD. \
              \the dates were close together.

The goths had some valid complaints. they were Arian Christians - and were treated like dirt after they crossed the Danube. One of the church of Rome's greatest mistakes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X