No announcement yet.

Death ride of the High Seas Fleet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly the British knew the Germans were planning to come and when they didnít show up thought it was due to fog. Beatty planned to deploy the Grandfleet tobcut iff the retreat of the Germans.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Churchill noted that Beatty was the man who could lose the war in a single afternoon.
      No he didn't. This referred to Jelicoe and originally came not from Churchill but from the man himself.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

No he didn't. This referred to Jelicoe and originally came not from Churchill but from the man himself.
        I thought Churchill used the phrase for the first time in 1924, in his history of the Great War, The World Crisis, but I may well be misinformed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doveton Sturdee View Post

I thought Churchill used the phrase for the first time in 1924, in his history of the Great War, The World Crisis, but I may well be misinformed.
          Churchill may well have used it with reference to Jelicoe. However he was in part quoting Jericoe. Its late and I need my bed I'll look it out in the morn
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

OK Churchill said it of Jelicoe but Jelicoe had earlier said "The war could have been lost in an afternoon and I know who would have got the blame"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X