X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by regulator4 View Post
    When was Robert E Lee's citizenship restored?
    He took the oath in 1865 and asked for a full pardon, but the request was lost.

"Upon learning of the discovery of the lost pledge, Virginia Senator, Harry F. Byrd proposed a congressional resolution for a posthumous pardon and restoration of citizenship for Robert E. Lee. Normally the approval of such a resolution would have been routine. But there were a few members of Congress who did not want the federal government to take any action that would benefit the memory of the great General. One of these Congressmen, the Democratic Representative from Michigan, John Conyers, strongly and vocally opposed the measure. Conyers referred to the resolution as "neither healing nor charitable."

"But Congress, to its credit, overwhelmingly voted in favor of the resolution and President Gerald Ford indicated his willingness to sign it. The signing ceremony took place on August 5, 1975, at Arlington House, the former home of General Lee’s family. The room was filled with distinguished citizens and dignitaries including Virginia’s Governor, its Senators and its Representatives. These excerpts from the comments President Ford made at the signing ceremony are a fitting tribute to Robert E. Lee."

Taken from http://www.lewrockwell.com/jarvis/jarvis93.html, which also reprints Pres Ford's comments.

Leave a comment:

• 2nd Rangers
    replied
    Citizenship

When was Robert E Lee's citizenship restored?

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    He was barred from holding the office by the 14th Amendment, which reads in part:

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Emphasis added.

As others have pointed out, their in no possible way that the Congress would have granted the waiver. I also doubt he would have gotten many votes since most white Southerners were not allowed to vote and he would not have been popular in the North as a presidential candidate.

Leave a comment:

• 2nd Rangers
    replied
    Lee

The Republicans had a stranglehold on the Presidency. With the exception of Grover Cleveland, they hold the office until 1912. Cleveland only won because the Republican candidate Blaine screwed up.
    Lee was a very honorable man. His appointment as President of Washington College (Washington and Lee ) was a perfect post for a man riddled with guilt over the deaths of those under his command. As a Unionist, I wish he had remained loyal to the Nation rather than Virginia. He he done so and lead the North to victory; he just might have become the 18th President

Leave a comment:

• Iron Brigade
    replied
    Southerners had the right to vote, except for Southern Leaders until they were pardoned by the Congress and President.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Brigade View Post
    What would have happened if he had run for president after the Civil War? would he have lived longer then he did? Would he have won?
    Did the citizens of the South have the right to vote after the Civil War? I don't know this, but I think they may not have had the rights to vote. Even if they did vote, I think Grant would have defeated Lee in a presidential race.
    But if Lee did win, I'm sure he would have taken back his property at Arlington, and the United States honored place for burial wouldn't be on his former property.

"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude." Dr. Klahn ...

Leave a comment:

• Iron Brigade
    started a topic What if Robert E. Lee had run for pres?

What if Robert E. Lee had run for pres?

What would have happened if he had run for president after the Civil War? would he have lived longer then he did? Would he have won?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X