PUSAN Perimeter Overrun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUSAN Perimeter Overrun

What if the Pusan Perimeter had been wiped out in 1950. If the NKPA had broken through the perimeter and reached Pusan? Could the Americans have staged a Dunkirk? Would the UN have gone back into Korea?

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post
    What if the Pusan Perimeter had been wiped out in 1950. If the NKPA had broken through the perimeter and reached Pusan? Could the Americans have staged a Dunkirk? Would the UN have gone back into Korea?
    They would have fortified the port of Pohang (60km NE) and sent the Marines and the 7th Division in through there. Also, the Far East Air Force would do three missions a day from Japan with Medium and Tactical bombers.

Nice thought though.
    Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Somewhere there must be a residual bit of writing on Walkers or MacAurthurs contingency plans, or lack of, for that eventuality. Most comanders in such a situation at least have one of their staff outline something for just in case. I've not seen a peep about it though in my limited reading of the Korean war.

Comment

would the question be instead: what if the NK did break through and conquer all of the Korean peninsula? what would the UN do? negotiate (my take) or attempt a landing to secure a port and conquer back Korea?
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
          would the question be instead: what if the NK did break through and conquer all of the Korean peninsula? what would the UN do? negotiate (my take) or attempt a landing to secure a port and conquer back Korea?
          Or possibly use an atomic bomb to prevent UN forces from being totally wiped out? Yikes, not a nice scenario to contemplate.
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
            The latter I'd think. MacAurthur was deep into planning the amphibious end run long before the Pusan battle had run its course. If I recall correctly he had requested a USMC divsion and army corps staff officers experinced in amphib ops as early as the first week of July. Mac had long ago learned the value of amphib ops and the end run was fairly obvious. The only thing that would prevent this would be a withdrawl of support in the US. Were the necessary fleet, air and ground units not sent then the show is over.

Comment

I think wiping out the perimeter is not a possibility.

The decrease in frontline space makes the attackers more and more vulnerable to American artillery, naval artillery and air support. The more desperate the Americans are the more effective air support becomes.

Naval artillery alone would have prevented a true overrun. Basically, as soon as large areas of your frontline are under American naval artillery range the party is over. You cannot concentrate enough troops in one place to overcome everyday attacker's tactical difficulties.

Comment

The Question is "what if they had?"

THe Amphibious force would have been diverted to a last-ditch defence of Pusan City, and the landing woudl have been deleyed until spring.

Occam's razor in action.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                  The Question is "what if they had?"

THe Amphibious force would have been diverted to a last-ditch defence of Pusan City, and the landing woudl have been deleyed until spring.

Occam's razor in action.
                  At least one brigade of Marines were diverted to the Pusan enclave, & fought there for a month. They were withdrawn, over the protests of the local commanders, and speed off to embark and join Almonds corps and the 1st Mar Div. There may have been others ashore near Pusan, I cant recall. Walker of course thought he was near collapse and was reluctant to see the Marine brigade, a slice of the air support, replacement soldiers, and supplies diverted to the end run.

Whatever Mac Aurthurs other faults, he did have a fair sense of stratigic possiblities. I would not want to second guess his intent if the 8th Army collapsed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X