This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Star/Red Star

I have always wanted (after gaining the required amount of TOAW design proficiency) to try modelling the Western Allies going almost immediately to war with the Russians after the collapse of Berlin. There's all sorts of interesting questions to be considered. The Reds ability to supply the front would be hampered considerably by the combined air wings of the Western Allies; they'd never be able to contest the skies under any circumstances.

But the overwhelming amount of equipment the Reds have (and can produce without having to transport it over) would give them an initial advantage.

Nukes would become a potential after some turns had gone by.

Later in the game, the West will have finally stopped the Reds initiative, and will be able to 'hold the line', but aggression into Russia itself would be more difficult, as the Russian industry is rather remote and harder to bomb, and that's a long way east to advance, even under the best of circumstances.

There's also the West's stomach for continued war, especially in the face of huge casualties. The scenario would be based on the premise that the Allies felt like Patton post-Berlin; the Reds better get the hell back to prewar borders, or that's it... The Reds refuse, and the West's ultimatum is called. War.
    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Are you saying you're going to design this scenario, or is it just a brain storm? I'd probably be able to help sort out much of the OOB stuff, if you need a hand.

One point to consider: Would the scenario take place before or after the general demobilization and transfer of forces to the Pacific?

Comment

Game in existence

There was a game made about 20 yrs ago, I will look up the name of it, if you like. I believe it was made by VG (a branch of the old AH games).

regards,
      swampy

Comment

Would be interested in seeing the cause of such a conflict. It is hard to imagine either side being willing to set upon another war of such grand scale after just vanquishing such a determined foe as Germany.

Of course, if such a game were created I would probably have to check it out!
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Actually, I would like to design this scenario, but I need considerable practice with the editor, about 12 more hours per day, and at the very least a partner in crime. I have a couple of monster campaign scenarios I'd dearly love to make that I think would be incredibly enjoyable to the TOAW gaming community.

Chuck has offered to make a world map, but I've still not had the time to sit down and plan out just how to fit everything in (abstracting oceans, etc).

I beleive this conflict would take place prior to a general demobilization/redeployment.
          "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
            Would be interested in seeing the cause of such a conflict. It is hard to imagine either side being willing to set upon another war of such grand scale after just vanquishing such a determined foe as Germany.

Of course, if such a game were created I would probably have to check it out!
            I thought it was common knowledge that Churchill wanted to carry on East following the collapse of Germany
            "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

Operation Unthinkable interests lodestar

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              I thought it was common knowledge that Churchill wanted to carry on East following the collapse of Germany
              After some time I've revived my project of reviewing all threads on this WWII Sub-forum from day one (a lodestar intent is stated - the omniverse holds it's breath).
              As I stated before when I embarked on this odyssey:

"Some time ago I declared my intention (with my usual self-inflated, pompous sense of importance - I truly, truly love every aspect of myself) to review all threads on this forum (all 9,855 of them).

I got started a but stopped after a couple of threads coz I had other things to do (for example, counting the number of 4B pencils I have in my pencil jar or maybe watching my taped 1988 episodes of ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ - it mattered to me so I did it. Way of lodestar and all that).

But now I’m retired I find I’m reinvigorated and in a position to slowly re-embark on my quest. I might do about two threads per week - so that about 65 year’s worth of lodestar edicts! What a treat you’re all in for!

My stated intent is two-fold:

. To provide, either new insights and or perspectives on the threads in question, thereby opening the entire matter up for discussion again.

. Alternately to provide definitive conclusion(s) on the threads in question.

I realise that some threads are ‘closed’ but I’m sure the moderator will see the wisdom of re-opening them after he realises I’m preparing to comment on them.

Still other threads may appear to have been ‘done to death’ but I’m positive all will be waiting for my contribution- as the young people say today: just think of each post I make as a learning experience or a chance to explore ‘options’.
              [/I] (lodestar's explanation enthralling, enticing, utterly captivating)

Godamn! No matter how I waffle by way of introduction....it still comes out as bloody brilliant does it not?
              I honestly have to ask; has ANY poster ever I mean EVER ignored a lodestar posting?....Anyone?.....ever??

Enough of prologue however, the feasibility study Churchill requested be drawn up for an attack (which of course would have been as treacherous as the attack on Pearl Harbor had it somehow gone ahead) on the Soviets in 1945 was given the working title 'Operation Unthinkable'.

One really does wonder as to what might have been had Winnie somehow won the 1945 general election in the UK and this laughable fantasy had received more 'push' from the newly elected PM?

I really think that deep down ole Winston quite simply just loved war as it was so much part of his fabric. Brooke noted in his diary:

“Winston gives me the feeling of already longing for another war.”
              Brooke thought the whole thing 'impossible' and of course in mid 1945 the US wanted nothing whatsoever to do with it.

.......however fast-forward a couple of years and the installation of a few satellite Soviet puppet regimes and guess what's being dusted off? .....

Mantis's statement in Post # 1 re the Soviet Air Force, that: they'd never be able to contest the skies under any circumstances. seems way ill-informed, the Soviets had masses of good quality fighters (Yak 9's, La-5's and 7's) and a second to none ground attack workhorses in the Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovick and the Pe-2.
              The RAF and USAAF would hardly have 'swept the skies' in a few days.

When lodestar does not post many peoples’ lives feel desolate and empty.
              When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
              Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR'.

Regards lodestar

Comment

you're creating your own caricature.
                Never disapoint your audience.
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the "Alternative History" section?
                  "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                  "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                  — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X