Texas Secedes but doesn't join the Confederacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Secedes but doesn't join the Confederacy

Here's a good one. In 1861 Sam Houston one time General, President and Senator from Texas suggested to the legislature for Texas to secede but not join the Confederacy. His idea was to spare Texas from the horrible conflict by reverting back to being a sovreign nation. He was impeached and thrown from office. I have som e thoughts but would to hear yours and I will comment as neccessary.

Do big defference, except they would not have had the support of the CSA. The war wasn't fought over who joined the CSA but who left the Union.

HP
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yes indeed and in this case my beloved Sam was in error because in the end Texas would have had to fought both sides.

And that would have been far more horrific then what occured.

b.
      CV

Comment

Originally posted by ceardog View Post
        Here's a good one. In 1861 Sam Houston one time General, President and Senator from Texas suggested to the legislature for Texas to secede but not join the Confederacy. His idea was to spare Texas from the horrible conflict by reverting back to being a sovreign nation. He was impeached and thrown from office. I have som e thoughts but would to hear yours and I will comment as neccessary.
        Houston was one incredibly smart politician in a time of monumental idiots. He correctly forcasted what the Union North's reactions would be to a Southern Confederacy going to war against them. Texas was an independant Republic before becoming a state and they could soon return to statehood as soon as the time was right, without needlessly losing thousands of men on Northern Battlefields and numerous fortunes at home. You're right, this is a good thread!
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

And think of ANV without the TX Brigade. On the one hand, it would be harder for Lee to win the 7 Days, etc. On the other, Hood probably never gets a chance to wreck a confederate army.

Comment

IF Texas had suceeded and become a Republic again, I wonder if they would have rejoined the Union assuming they survived the U.S. Civil War a an independant nation? With Emperor Maximillan in Mexico I wonder if perhaps the French based monarchy might have tried to grab The Republic of Texas and other parts of the southwest back? Then again if the North was fighting the South could either side afford to let Mexico fight the Lone Star Republic without intervining? Hmm, lot's of what if's.
            Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
            If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Texas secedes cont.

Let me explain myself since I started this discussion.
              Without Texas valuable hard fighting troops would've never been there for the confederacy. On the other hand they might'vehad to defend Texas from both Comanche attacks,Mexican bandits and maybe even Maximillian. Here's a thought Maximillian decides to pick on Texas suicidal because he hadn't pacified Mexico do the Texans ally and help Juarez in a campaign ? Maybe, and since we can assume Lincoln would decide to leave Texas be and deal with the rest of the South first valuable Union Naval and Army forces could be used to take control of the Mississippi river earlier than 1863. Farragut doesn't lose ships attacking Galveston and Mobile falls earlier further tightening the noose.

Comment

Yes t'sd a scenario full of what-ifs.

BTW Grant wanted to take Mobile in 1863, right after Vicksburg, but Halleck loverruled him, so, with no TX, Mobile probably would be the next campaign.

Comment

1. The capitol of Confederate Missouri would have had to be somewhere else than Texas.

2. Texas would have established a trade deal with the CSA -- beef has got to be sold to somebody; which means the US would have invaded them anyway.

3. Invasion of "Arizona" would have taken place regardless, as would the fighting in the "Indian Territories".

4. Large number of Texas cavalry regiments in western CSA would not have been there, perhaps leading to earlier defeat in the west for the South.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...