Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if George Washington was killed at Brandywine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if George Washington was killed at Brandywine?

During the Battle, British General Patrick Ferguson had Washington lined up, dead in the sights of his rifle (not musket). All that was needed was for him to pull the trigger and the Revolution would have been forever changed. Instead, he allowed Washington to ride off and live to become the war's most victorious General and the US' First President.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Some losser politics his way into command. The rebel strategy falls apart, the Brits fumble through to control of more cities, the revolt drags on for a decade, with French help some sort of independance is still achived. Some idiot like Burr abbrogates the electorial system and attempts to make himself emperor causing the effort to unite the states into a single nation to fall apart, or take a different course.

Comment

I'm writing a book where that happens and the revoultion fails. The french never revolt and it's now 1976 and the revoution is starting agian. It will be kinda of a vietnam type book with the Ameircans being the Vietcong and the Britsh as the Americans
      "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
      "

Comment

The revolution would still have succeeded. The British government handled the whole affair badly anyway. It was too costly all round and to garrison a hostile territory afterwards, too much of a pain when places like |India were considered valuable. America was going independent no matter what as it had gone too far by then.

Comment

Silly me. When I read the thread topic, I was like, GW wasn't a hobbit...

Comment

Yeah, I agree, the revolt & eventuall result were inevitable, given the same British leadership. Without Washinton things during and after would have been rougher.

Comment

He might have missed, don't you know.

He did not fire because he did not think that a man of real importance would be riding around without an entourage, as a European General would have been doing.

In that sense, Washingtons charecter, and thus the charecter he imparted to the nation he fathered, saved him... and the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                He might have missed, don't you know.

He did not fire because he did not think that a man of real importance would be riding around without an entourage, as a European General would have been doing.

In that sense, Washingtons charecter, and thus the charecter he imparted to the nation he fathered, saved him... and the rest of us.
                From what I've read. Ferguson knew that he was an Officer of some High Rank, because dispatch riders and other such personel kept riding up to him for council and orders. Ferguson witheld his fire because "British Gentlemen did not deliberately shoot other American Gentlemen while performing their tasks of running their army." Somebody should have told that to Andrew Jackson at New Orleans, 30 odd years later.

Comment

Jackson was no gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                    Jackson was no gentleman.
                    Nor did he ever admit to it either..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X