Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prehaps we should move this to a new "What if" thread this seems off topic;

"What if...World War III:1945"?

Another small point I've been wondering, what kind of partisans could we be expecting in that sort of senario? I know the Germans historically did little, but would that change? What about the French communists or the Eastern Europeans? Would the allies really want former Nazi help after liberating all the camps?

As per Soviet offensive capabilities: wasn't Heinrici able to stop the first attack the Soviets tried dead in their tracks in April of 1945? If he was able hold them(albiet temporarily) with a depleted, demoralized, and weakened German Army, would the Western allies have been at least able to do enough holding actions to save most of their armies in Europe from complete destruction?
    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

The whole premise of this thread struck me as a little funny. Panthers and Tigers were a reaction TO the T-34, a tank the Germans had no knowledge of before June 22nd.

The biggest trouble teh Russians would have had trying to fight the Western Allies in 1945 would have been adapting to an enemy that did not fight the way the Germans did.
      Another problem would have been replenishment. The Russians had not run out of manpower yet, but they were close. The USA could have fielded another half-dozen Corps that summer without breaking a sweat.

Speaking of manpower, there was also the temptation to desert, not to the Nazis this time, but to the decadent west.
      I think that within a matter of months, the only thing between Patton and Stalins throat would be the NKVD and some political officers.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Yep...

Tankboy said:
        Prehaps we should move this to a new "What if" thread this seems off topic;

"What if...World War III:1945"?
        I already requested a thread split a page or so back; maybe that's not done around here??
        Been kinda holding off posting anything further on this idea as we're miles off the original topic.
        I thought of copying and pasting to a new thread? Being rather new around here, I don't know what the protocols are as far as doing this. Do the mods lose it on you if you do???

More info anyone??

Cheers, Ron
        48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
        __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

No, sound perfectly logical to me, although i dont have anything of histoircal accuracy to back it up , mind, just makes sense to me, thats all..

Comment

Originally posted by iron View Post
            Tankboy said:

I already requested a thread split a page or so back; maybe that's not done around here??
            Been kinda holding off posting anything further on this idea as we're miles off the original topic.
            I thought of copying and pasting to a new thread? Being rather new around here, I don't know what the protocols are as far as doing this. Do the mods lose it on you if you do???

More info anyone??

Cheers, Ron
            How about someone (Not me, don't know enough about the subject, to be honest)just make a new thread and link this one?
            And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
            Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
            Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
            Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X