Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Jesus....

in the vein of Saul of Tarsus thread.

what if Pontius Pilate decided that he would have Roman law apply to Jesus and not hand him over, and that in Roman Law, Jesus has nothing to be blamed of and was to be released and his new cult allowed as another of the weird "one god" religions.

would Jesus lead the preaching in Jerusalem or travel the empire to spread his message? what if he died of old age? would he have more apostles?

how would christian religion change with no martyrdom and death on the crosss? perhaps with no resurrection (or resurrection at a later age?)

would christianity even have emerged or would it be just another jewish cult?
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

According to Christianity, it was all pre ordained planned and part of the plan.

God came as Jesus to allow humanity a means to choose. He was expected to die for our sins.

Thus, according to dogma, there was never any chance of a what if.

Well that's the story, I'm just commenting on what I know.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

The only thing that could have stopped the crucifiction was the free will of Christ. He had the opportunity in the Garden of Gethsemane.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Pontius Pilate had free will also, so he frees Jesus, Jesus keeps preaching and gets stoned a la Steven.. same historical result.

Comment

The Book would have been in the bargian bin, without the dramatic ending, so some other mind bending religion would have filled the hole.
          Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
          Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
          David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
            in the vein of Saul of Tarsus thread.

what if Pontius Pilate decided that he would have Roman law apply to Jesus and not hand him over, and that in Roman Law, Jesus has nothing to be blamed of and was to be released and his new cult allowed as another of the weird "one god" religions.
            This is a ridiculous proposition altogether as when I asked Judas to turn me in my dad had already worked his magic on Pilate to make sure he'd play his role properly. My crucifixion was a sure bet ... otherwise we wouldn't have gone ahead with the plan.

Comment

The book "What If 2" took a pretty good looking at this question. I thought they did a pretty good job of looking at the what if's. For one, I'm glad Jesus paid the price for my sin, because I saw the self destructive force of sin in my life and repented and still make lots of mistakes, but have a joy in life and love being alive, and before I didn't have that joy or didn't fully appreciate life.
              Having said that, I think Jesus would have probably found a replacement for Judas, and probably Peter since Peter denied him. Jesus would have attributed the fact that he wasn't crucified to His prayers in the Garden of Gesthemane. He would have returned to Jerusalem the next year. The Romans would have probably had an off limits approach to him, as the book "What If" speculated they would have appreciated his render unto Ceaser attitude would have been appealing to them.
              I guess one of the big questions would be how would Western Civilization have advanced without the influence of Christianity? Christianity became the primary religion of Rome, and the Byzantine Empire as well as being the predominate religion in Europe, and then eventually the Western Hemisphere.

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" 'The Bug'

Comment

Overall, a different religion would not have changed history much, because human beings don't absorb thr golden rule very well. European groups would have continued to fight each other, persecute "outsiders" and carry on as usual. The names would be different, but the overall effect would be almost nil.

Maybe if no Jesus but Mohammed, Europe would be mostly Muslim--but given the way Muslims fight each other, still no overall difference, just name changes.

Comment

Disregarding the unexplained, Jesus was not the only prophet around back then. Maybe a cult could have developed around some other person...

I am however more into how a modern version of the greek and roman religions would have been able to look today. Temples everywhere to all kinds of gods and mystical creatures. Just think of the "Intelligent Design" theory from a roman or greek mythological perspective
                  "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Zealot mob rises up against Pilate

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
                    Disregarding the unexplained, Jesus was not the only prophet around back then. Maybe a cult could have developed around some other person...
                    If Pontius Pilate had freed Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him):

Then the mob would have been under the leadership of the Jewish Zealots, Judas Iscariot among them.

The Jewish mob would have tried to kill, or crucify, Pontius Pilate.

Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him) would have tried to stop the crowd of Jews from killing Pilate and to stop the crowd from attacking the Romans.

Then in the confusion, the mob of Jews and Zealots would have killed Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him), instead of the Romans doing it.

Comment

I think Jesus would have replaced Judas, maybe even with the roman soldier who was converted to show that he would accept even if they truely believed, and go out and teach but would still be killed by the Romans since the romans thought that Christians were heathens and all that. Jesus, not being one to hide in the corner, would have openly taught the word and as a result would have been stoned or part of a mass crucification in which he was the centerpiece.

The religion would go on the same with the only difference being the way Jesus died in the long run.

Matt
                      Last edited by Airchallenged; 22 Oct 07, 18:30.
                      "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                      -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPilotUU View Post
                        If Pontius Pilate had freed Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him):

Then the mob would have been under the leadership of the Jewish Zealots, Judas Iscariot among them.

The Jewish mob would have tried to kill, or crucify, Pontius Pilate.

Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him) would have tried to stop the crowd of Jews from killing Pilate and to stop the crowd from attacking the Romans.

Then in the confusion, the mob of Jews and Zealots would have killed Jesus Christ (peace and prayer be upon him), instead of the Romans doing it.
                        SkyPilotUU, excellent work as always. Congratulations on being named greatest theologian 10 years running in the metro Houston area. I understand you will be leaving the States and going to join a group of monks. Not the type of monks that practice Kung Fu at the Shaolin Temple, but a monastery with monks that brew beer. Please don't forget your friends here at ArmchairGeneral.com when you brew your first batch of beer at the monastery.

Good luck and please keep posting even when you are in the monastery making great beer.

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" 'The Bug'

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                          The only thing that could have stopped the crucifiction was the free will of Christ. He had the opportunity in the Garden of Gethsemane.
                          Also, had his Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared before the Pharasies and Sajesties during Jesus' initial trial, she could have had him released. While Jewish women couldn't be part of any jury trial, they did have an undeniable and unrevokable right of appeal.
                          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

As stated earlier, it was preordained. Especially so when the Sadduccees and Pharisees threatened Pilate with reporting him to Rome about his alleged refusal to enforce Roman law. All Roman governors were hyper-sensitive on this issue. That to me is the key issue. Twice Pilate tried to release Jesus, and got threatened for his trouble. Hence the "washing of the hands".
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
                              Maybe if no Jesus but Mohammed, Europe would be mostly Muslim--but given the way Muslims fight each other, still no overall difference, just name changes.
                              Not to worry, the Moslems are still working on it!

GG
                              "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X