Would the US have gone to war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the US have gone to war

had the Dutch East Indies been invaded, without an attack on Pearl Harbor?
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Yes, I believe so. The whole point of the oil and other embargoes were to force Japan to the negotiation table. Had Japan struck the Dutch colonies while leaving the British and US bases alone it would have, besides being incredibly stupid, meant war with both. The line had been drawn after the occupation of French Indo-China and an invasion of Borneo or Java would have crossed that line.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

I agree. It wouldn't have taken much to set off FDR's hair trigger.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
        I agree. It wouldn't have taken much to set off FDR's hair trigger.
        And yet, the American Public has a history of needing a "push". The problem with this sort of Republic is that a motovation is needed to send our boys to war.
        Taxation? Slavery? Cuban independece, WWI or II etc. FDR understood that regardless of his feelings, the public would have to be marshalled to support his ideas. I am not immune to the power of propaganda. And no, I don't think he sacrificed the kids at Pearl Harbor to prove his point.
        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

With the US based in the Phillipines and the British in Malaya the Japanese line of communicartion with the Dutch East Indies would have been wide open to attack. I would wager that FDR had prepared the people of the US for war over the past two years and that his request for a declaration of war in this case would have been granted.

Even if it was not, he probably would have been able to declare a blockade of the Dutch colonies and thus force Japan to back down or declare war. The US Navy was already fighting an undeclared war in the western Atlantic and the next step would not have been beyond probabilities.

Now, that being said, the US Fleet at Pearl Harbour would have had its head handed to it by the Japanese off the coast of the Phillipines but that is another story.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

I would have to agree with everybodies assesment on this. FDR was doing everything in his power to get America into the war. He would have pushed the U.S. Navy into the region and started "contraband" inspections and internments on every Japanese merchant vessel coming or going anywhere near the Dutch East Indies in an attempt to force Japan into a "Cause belli" where he could then get his declaration of war. And yes the IJN would have sunk more of our Pacific fleet than they did, and probably most if not all of our carriers too. Good thing that did not happen.

Comment

Did FDR get the US into the war after the fall of France and the rest of Western Europe? I seriously doubt that the American people of the 40's would have show much interest in going to war over some European Empires colonies, especialy in Asia.

HP
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                Did FDR get the US into the war after the fall of France and the rest of Western Europe? I seriously doubt that the American people of the 40's would have show much interest in going to war over some European Empires colonies, especialy in Asia.

HP
                Unfortunately Half-Pint, FDR did have us in an undeclared war at sea with the German navy by the beginning of April 1941. We also were sending direct military aid to the Allied combatants. So whether or not the American public wanted it....Roosevelt was determined to make it so.

Comment

Much had changed since June 1940. FDR was also increasing the pressure on the Japanese step by step. The Japanese occupation of the French Asian colonies and the resulting embargoes would eventually force Japan's hand or they run out of fuel. Japan had to act or stand down,...and the resulting lose of face in giving in to the US would have been unacceptable to the Japanese army.

Aid to China, the UK and the USSR, fighting in Atlantic and troops in Iceland, oil embargo against Japan, movement of the fleet to Pearl Harbour, reinforcing the Phillipines and other Pacific bases. Another mistep by Japan would have meant war and FDR knew it was in America's best interest to get involved sooner rather than later.
                  The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                    Japan had to act or stand down,...and the resulting lose of face in giving in to the US would have been unacceptable to the Japanese army.
                    This is what most people don't understand. The Japanese culture would never allow the military to back down. It wasn't if the Japanese would attack but when. I think FDR understood this all too well....
                    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I think FDR would have got America into the war over this issue but I do wonder what the American peoples attitiude would be to it. I mean Pearl Harbour was seen as a brazen sneak attack on the US itself with naturally led to the reaction that it did. Would the Dutch East Indies have done the same? To be honest I'm not sure, the Germans didnt directly attack the US and they were definitely up for that one so maybe they would have been up for it over the Dutch East Indies. I think people need to comment before I can a have a better informed opinion.

Comment

Roosevelt would have used any impetus for war, but the American people would not have gotten upset about the Dutch East Indies. At the very least, it is probable that he would have used the situation to escalate things and force the US into war. Like Copenhagen, I am anxious to see what other people post before I make up my mind.
                        Last edited by Biscuit; 08 Oct 07, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          Roosevelt would have used any impetus for war, but the American people would not have gotten upset about the Dutch West Indies. .
                          Of course the Dutch West Indies would invoke the Monroe Doctrine

Comment

Japanese & USN ships would have been tripping over each other along the sea lanes adjacent to the Phillpines. Incidents like the bombing of the nuetral US & British ships in China several years earlier would have been inevitable. The same for the USAAF reconissance flights. Hot shot Japanese officers, or Americans would have sooner rather than later made a error in judgement.

Comment

Copenhagen, Biscuit... The really nice thing about opinions is....You can have any one you want, irregardless of what others think ....

However both of your opinions is this thread seem to dovetail quite nicely with everybody elses; therefore your indoctrination... oops I mean training is nearly complete...muwahahahaha

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X