The Biggest What If Of All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Biggest What If Of All

What if there were no History Forums on the Internet? Who would we talk to about history and military related items? Would we all be driving our significant others crazy with history talk that they have no interest in? Same with our friends? Where else could we have an outlet to talk of all things military? Think of it, no Sealion thread, no Person Who Answers Last thread, no Doctor Sinister, no Duke William, no Cyberia, no Daemon of Decay and no me. I shudder at this what if.

Just wondering.
    Last edited by R. Evans; 19 Sep 07, 15:07.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Oh, don't worry. Al Gore would still have come up with it....
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I'm sure I'd find someone to berate for their ignorance.
      Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
        What if there were no History Forums on the Internet? Who would we talk to about history and military related items? Would we all be driving our significant others crazy with history talk that they have no interest in? Same with our friends? Where else could we have an outlet to talk of all things military? Think of it, no Sealion thread, no Person Who Answers Last thread, no Doctor Sinister, no Duke William, no Cyberia, no Daemon of Decay and no me. I shudder at this what if.

Just wondering.
        If this website didn't exist, I would watch reality tv all day, or watch the judge shows that are on all day before the reality shows start in the evening. TV doesn't get any better than judge shows, talk shows, or reality shows. In fact I watch every reality show and vote for my favorites many many times.
        Ohhh I'm watching Judge Judy, and I can't believe the guy that let his dog poop all over the neighbor's lawn has to pay for a new lawn for his neighbors. What is Judge Judy thinking? Come on Judge, dogs poop that's what they do. Don't hold the dog owner lible for that. I'm going to email that show and tell them I know more about the law than them.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

Without this forum, or forums?

Well half of my models might actually be finished now.

Damn bloody forums
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Back in the olden days we met at game clubs and the discussions went on there, in similar fashion. Some arguments dragged on for months as each week folks renewed their debate ammo. Instead of web site links and pictures posted on the discussion board we carried in actual books and magazines to sow each other. The club I commonly attended met in rooms adjacent to a large university library. It was not uncommon for someone to dash next door to look up some source on the question at hand.

Another venue were the history and game magazines. The editors included articals & letters with opposing views on various subjects.

I expect most of the people who post here are old enough to have learned their inital debate skills either in the clubs or the magazine forums. The main diference being people could not hide their true identity very easily. Were the internet not presently available the clubs and the magazine forums would still be the place for discussion. Both of those venues have declined greatly in the past two decades.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post

Just wondering.
              In fact, the greatest what-if of all would be: what if gunpowder had turned out not to work?

Try to imagine the face of 21st century warfare and the world without explosives.

The rest of it is penny ante stuff of no consequence.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I knew this thread was entering fantasy land the moment the phrase "No Doctor Sinister" popped up.

I refuse to countenance such an eventuality!

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

we'll probably all be athletes, date models, get paid to have our picture taken, as we'd have such great bodies from the mooving, instead of sitting our asses in front of a computer scream.

but then we'd have to pick arguments with people about the feasability or not of Sealion or the merits of the Mauser98 compared to the Garand or and that would ruin everything.

not to metion that we'd have only the main media as news source and so we'd all believe that Iraq is a resounding success and that all iranians are small evil people with horns and tails and that they eat live raw babies for lunch.
                  "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

No Forums?????

That would almost mean no personal home computers too.

Gee, that would mean I would never have come into contact with people like John Dudek, Listy the Treadhead, Von Richter, Dennis 1J1, Lokinar, Valera Potapov, George "The Eraser" Parada, Tiger II Lover.

Oh No.....I would never have been able to start The Odin Zone.

No really cool names like "The One Eyed Dog", "Odin", "Duke William", "Walter Warlimont", Etc,.....

Ha Ha.....No Doctor Sinister

Now THAT's Funny.

Holy Cow, without no Forums, Mr. Bad Wolf himself would not exist.

I do agree with one revelation though.....All of My Models would no doubt have been put together by now.

Of course, without Forums, and the people that participate in them, I would not be constantly chastised & called terrible names.

But then again, I probably would never have actually started researching things either, and I would continue to believe that Operation Sealion could have actually worked.

Without Forums, I wouldn't have learned how to type words in super bold & super large letters, so I could say things to people like the Admiral along the lines of:............

COULD YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE JUST RE-OPEN THE OPERATION SEALION THREAD FOR A LITTLE WHILE TO KEEP ME FROM POSTING SILLY MESSAGES LIKE THIS ONE ASKING YOU TO DO IT?????
                    Last edited by Admiral; 23 Sep 07, 07:37. Reason: Yelling is proscribed by established forum rules!

Comment

Now Duke, no need to beg. There are 100,000 forums out there where you can find or open a Sealion discussion board.

http://talk.consimworld.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Duke
                        Without Forums, I wouldn't have learned how to type words in super bold & super large letters, so I could say things to people like the Admiral along the lines of:............

COULD YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE JUST RE-OPEN THE OPERATION SEALION THREAD FOR A LITTLE WHILE TO KEEP ME FROM POSTING SILLY MESSAGES LIKE THIS ONE ASKING YOU TO DO IT?????
                        Damnit Duke!

Yelling is proscribed by established forum rules.

In case you do not understand... ALL CAPS is yelling!

Stop Yelling!

ACG Staff

Last edited by Admiral; 23 Sep 07, 07:38.
                        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                          Damnit Duke!

Yelling is proscribed by established forum rules.

In case you do not understand... ALL CAPS is yelling!

Stop Yelling!

ACG Staff

I solemnly swear that I will never "Yell" again, just as soon as you Re-Open The Sealion Thread. nyuk, nyuk.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                            I solemnly swear that I will never "Yell" again, just as soon as you Re-Open The Sealion Thread. nyuk, nyuk.
                            No, it's much better to keep it locked, bolted shut and to throw away the key. There is nothing more or new to be gained by opening it, just more pissing contests and pro-nazi,"comicbook" history. The thread died an unnatural death a couple of hundred pages back. RIP.
                            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

but if that was true, then Jack Thompson wouldn't have anything to do...
                              Winnie says
                              ---------------------------------
                              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                              Herr Flick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X