What If Japan Attacks Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.....BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AIrchallenged View Post
    Owe I agree that it still would have been a hell of a lot better for us even with only the hour warning. I was just saying that it would have been a fairly tight squeeze in which every moment of preparation counted. We could have done it but they probably would have seen the planes approaching as the final preparations were made. It would have been like Omaha beach reversed and in the air. Many of the american planes would probably still have been on the ground as the attack began and would have to take off as the attack was happening. With these changes I am guessing that some of the problems that happened could have been avoided. Some of the ships may not have been hit, The Arizona may not have exploded with a direct hit, while other vital things may have been lost. In the end I still think we would have come out on top.

I still wonder why the Japs never attacked the gas field. It was a massive target in the middle of an open field.

Matt
    The Japanese probably didn't attack the oil and gasoline strorarge tanks on Oahu for two reasons. One, they already had far too many military targets of opportunity in an already target-rich, environment and two, the oil and gas tanks could be easily attacked during the follow-up strikes as soon as they'd returned to the carriers, re-fueled and re-armed.

Re: the US Aircraft on the airfields. Many if not most could have been placed into hangers or protective, bomb-proof revetments, given one hour's grace time to do so. At the same time, the AirCorps could have scrambled a respectable number of P-40's and P-36's aloft to give a good account of themselves and deny the Japanese an unopposed first strike.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

There were more airfields on Oahu than I had thought there were. I thought it was only hickman airfield. now knowing this I agree that a substantial number of squadrons could have been scrambled and in the air in the hours time.
      "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
      -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by AIrchallenged View Post
        There were more airfields on Oahu than I had thought there were. I thought it was only hickman airfield. now knowing this I agree that a substantial number of squadrons could have been scrambled and in the air in the hours time.
        Yup. Hickam, Bellows, Ewa, Kanaeohe, Wheeler, Ford Island and Haleieva to name but a few.
        Last edited by johnbryan; 23 Aug 07, 16:16.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X