Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe Change in strategy ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Luftwaffe Change in strategy ?

    I recently wondered if the luftwaffe had put more of its resources and manpower into the actual planes instead of the number of flak gunners they had would the war have continued with a different course ?

    Would the luftwaffe been able to hold off allied bombers and therefore keep their war machine running ? Would this have prevented allied success on the ground drastically ?
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.
    --Napoleon Bonaparte

    Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. --Napoleon Bonaparte

    We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. --Douglas MacArthur

  • #2
    Ithink the problem was lack of aircraft, not lack of manpower to man and service them. The Luftwaffe transferred men away from air units to other tasks (flak, infantry, etc.) because the air force got smaller as time progressed. Simply giving the LW more bodies without the aircraft would not have made much difference.
    The Purist

    Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Training and fuel were the main bottlenecks, so the above wouldn't do much.

      Comment


      • #4
        ditto. the big change would have been to be able to mass produce more planes sooner.

        the german planes were excellent designs but suffered from over-engineering (and that's expensive and time consuming) and perhaps too many different models

        it'a typical german thing... works wonders in peace time, not in mass warfare.
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

        Comment


        • #5
          If you have shortage of raw materials and more geeks than other countries that "overengineering" looks much more attractive.

          What's the point of build tanks/places twice as fast when the workers then stand around idle waiting for a couple tons of copper to show up?

          Comment


          • #6
            well not really.

            why then was production of weapons (planes in this case) not as high in 1940 than in 1944?

            Germany could have beena able to mass produce planes much earlier if it had dropped some designs and streamlined manufacturing processes - as the Soviets and American did. they had enough material and resources to do that in 1944, why not in 1940?
            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
              why then was production of weapons (planes in this case) not as high in 1940 than in 1944?
              Because the Germans, as hard as it sounds to believe, only switched to a war economy in late 1943. Until then there was barely any sign of increased effort at home. The Germans were so arrogant that they thought they can defeat half the world with their normal economy output. Only when they lost their first summer battle with the Soviets (Kursk) did they realize that it might not be that easy and switched to a war economy. This is why the production of war equipment goes up, not down, at a time where Allied bombing was at full swing and territory contaning raw materials was lost.

              That is in stark contrast to e.g. the U.S. which switched to a war economy the moment they were - duh - at war. Brillant insight, that.

              Originally posted by piero1971 View Post

              Germany could have beena able to mass produce planes much earlier if it had dropped some designs and streamlined manufacturing processes - as the Soviets and American did. they had enough material and resources to do that in 1944, why not in 1940?
              See above. The bottleneck was will, not supply.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                Because the Germans, as hard as it sounds to believe, only switched to a war economy in late 1943. Until then there was barely any sign of increased effort at home. The Germans were so arrogant that they thought they can defeat half the world with their normal economy output. Only when they lost their first summer battle with the Soviets (Kursk) did they realize that it might not be that easy and switched to a war economy. This is why the production of war equipment goes up, not down, at a time where Allied bombing was at full swing and territory contaning raw materials was lost.

                That is in stark contrast to e.g. the U.S. which switched to a war economy the moment they were - duh - at war. Brillant insight, that.

                See above. The bottleneck was will, not supply.
                I fully agree with you here. my point is that the change of strategy would have been indeed to switch to mass production sooner.
                "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                  Because the Germans, as hard as it sounds to believe, only switched to a war economy in late 1943. Until then there was barely any sign of increased effort at home. The Germans were so arrogant that they thought they can defeat half the world with their normal economy output. Only when they lost their first summer battle with the Soviets (Kursk) did they realize that it might not be that easy and switched to a war economy. This is why the production of war equipment goes up, not down, at a time where Allied bombing was at full swing and territory contaning raw materials was lost.

                  That is in stark contrast to e.g. the U.S. which switched to a war economy the moment they were - duh - at war. Brillant insight, that.



                  See above. The bottleneck was will, not supply.
                  good point and not often put forward in discussions on the economics of war as seen through the then German eyes ...
                  did your parents have any children that lived numb nuts??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There was a serious problem with pilot training as well. last week I spent some time being educated by a Luftwaffe historian (amature). He showed me comparisons between training programs for the Luftwaffe and the US & Britian. As with aircraft production the Luftwaffe retained its methodical, through, and very slow pilot training program up into 1943. The Allies reformed their training to reflect a degree of urgency. The Allies also withdrew experinced pilots from combat for the basic & advance training schools. And they taught the pilots combat tactics extensivelly in the schools. The Luftwaffe stuck too long with its prewar doctrine that combat skills were to be taught in the field in the combat unit. Thus the replacements to the Luftwaffe combat units were trained pilots, but less qualified as combat aviators than the Allied replacement pilots of 1942 - 45.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      Ithink the problem was lack of aircraft, not lack of manpower to man and service them. The Luftwaffe transferred men away from air units to other tasks (flak, infantry, etc.) because the air force got smaller as time progressed. Simply giving the LW more bodies without the aircraft would not have made much difference.
                      Agreed ,
                      so much lost due to Goering,s belief he could bomb England into submission .
                      did your parents have any children that lived numb nuts??

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X