Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
    OK, you win. We're done here.
    Heck, I was hoping you could defend your position.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
      Heck, I was hoping you could defend your position.
      Really? Things were frankly reading a bit hostile to me. Apologies if I was mistaken.
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

I enjoy arguing, and I have strong opinions because I am a philosophy major.
        A word like irresistable makes me wonder about passages like Mk. 10 17-22 in which the grace was very resistable. And thinking God only had one option to save humanity just doesn't make sense to me because of my (admittedly limited) understanding of omnipotence.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
          I enjoy arguing, and I have strong opinions because I am a philosophy major.
          A word like irresistable makes me wonder about passages like Mk. 10 17-22 in which the grace was very resistable. And thinking God only had one option to save humanity just doesn't make sense to me because of my (admittedly limited) understanding of omnipotence.
          Thanks for the clarification, grognard.

Different perceptions I suppose. My particular point is that God has all the options. He allows humans to make our own decisions and simply chooses not to exercise them. Thus His grace is dependent upon humanity choosing to accept it, becuse God chose for it to be so. Again, it is the relationship of God with mankind as loving and returned in makes it freedom that makes it so valuable. Ultimately, this means that I really don't think a "What if..." is applicable to God because of His omnipotence.

Why did God not elect to use another method or simply make humanity (and the angels, for that matter) completely compliant and obedient? I don't know.
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
            Thanks for the clarification, grognard.

Different perceptions I suppose. My particular point is that God has all the options. He allows humans to make our own decisions and simply chooses not to exercise them. Thus His grace is dependent upon humanity choosing to accept it, becuse God chose for it to be so. Again, it is the relationship of God with mankind as loving and returned in makes it freedom that makes it so valuable. Ultimately, this means that I really don't think a "What if..." is applicable to God because of His omnipotence.

Why did God not elect to use another method or simply make humanity (and the angels, for that matter) completely compliant and obedient? I don't know.

Glad you clarified your position, we really don't disagree on much. As for why did not elect another method--I think that God choose to send His Son but God not not deliberately set things up so that Jesus' call to repent would fail
            and force the crucifixtion. Jesus spread the word, and free will took it's course.

Of course, I'm also convinced that Jesus wouldn't get any further these days than He did then, not with so many so called Christian politicians of any nation supporting violence of all kinds--genocide, war, the death penalty, etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X