Hitler's assassination attempt a success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitler's assassination attempt a success

What would have been the outcome if Hitler had been assassinated.
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

When? And which plot? There were 17 viable plans/attempts just during the war years: http://members.iinet.net.au/~gduncan..._attempts.html
    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

The one in which the briefcase bomb was placed under the table, and also were he survived.
      "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

July 1944 right? I think complete and utter chaos in Germany. The plotters didn't act decisively when they thought Hitler was dead so I don't think that would have changed if he was dead. It would probably be either Himmler or Goering in charge after the plot was squashed. I don't think Goering would have been as savage in his reprisals as Hitler was and Himmler would have been. Goering would realize that some of these generals were needed to fight the war. Who would win in the power struggle between Goering and Himmler? Hard to say, probably whoever acted first. But I don't think it would have made a difference in the end. The Soviets were in no mood to negotiate and neither were the western Allies.

If I can though, to extend your thread let's say the plotters were successful, what happens then? I don't know enough about their plans for government to extrapolate that one out. Sorry.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

The war might even end a couple months earlier.

The earliest assasination I know of was in late 1939. Hitler just missed a bomb then. Were there any earlier attempts?

Comment

I believe there's an earlier thread about this knocking around, from a few years back - could be worth a search to see what comes up (I'd do it but it's way past my bedtime. ).

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

"(I'd do it but it's way past my bedtime. "

That becomes a problem when your parents are too old to enforce the rules.

Comment

I'd agree that there would've been absolute chaos in Germany if Corporal Schicklgruber had been bumped off. Would a hawk or a dove replaced him? I don't believe that Goering would've been an adequate leader and certainly his time as Hitler's successor would've been short.As far as the German armed forces were concerned Goering was a hated man. A man who once said, "I have no conscience-Hitler is my conscience." He once asked General Leutenant Adolf Galland to shoot RAF pilots on their parachutes during the Battle of Britain. Galland replied, "That would be nothing less than murder." When the Richtofen squadron reformed for a reunion in the 1920's, Goering was the only one not invited, in spite of the fact he commanded it. He was nicknamed, "Der Grofaz"- a corruption of the term, "World's greatest military commander."

It's possible that Albert Speer would've reluctantly accepted the role of leader despite having refused when offered it by Hitler. Another contender would've been Admiral Karl Doenitz (who signed the surrender document in 1945) Himmler may have been apppointed Fuhrer, but I wonder if he would've ran off to negotiate peace with the allies in much the same way as he did in 1945 (an act which forced Hitler to fire him.)

Maybe the July bomb plot was a success after all (in a delayed sense) I believe it left Hitler on a slow burning fuse to becoming a wreck, both physically and mentally. There are censored pictures of him outside the Berlin bunker awarding medals to the Hitler Youth. They are careful to try and conceal the fact that he was suffering from Parkinson's disease. He also was prescribed opiate-based eye drops and so on.
                Last edited by Sign&Print Name; 14 Mar 07, 15:54. Reason: typo
                Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

Comment

I doubt Goering or Himmler would have been in power for long. They weren't well like by the army so I believe there would have been a short civil war between Wehrmacht and SS units in Germany although not likely at the front. As for who would assume power it would probably not be a NAZI but a military officer like Dönitz or Guderion. There was talk of making Erwin Rommel the new Führer but he never expressed any intrest and probably wouldn't have accepted the title even if it was offered to him. The war in the west would also most likely have ended so all of Germany's efforts could be focused on the greater threat from the Soviet Union.
                  "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

I can think of an earlier assasination attempt WWI. Hitler survived it, the British should have sent over everything they had at him then.

I'm suprised no one just shot Hitler before shooting themselves, i'm suprised no one tried (no one tried right?)
                    "All Glory is Fleeting"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X