Germany develops atomic weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany develops atomic weapon

What if the German Atomic weapons reasearch had been successful? Germany successfully develops 1 weapon in autumn 1944-where is it used and what are the possible delivery methods?

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post
    What if the German Atomic weapons reasearch had been successful? Germany successfully develops 1 weapon in autumn 1944-where is it used and what are the possible delivery methods?
    I would think it would be used against the Soviets somewhere in Poland, probably in conjunction with an attack by the remains of the German armored units. The Soviets would be shocked by the appearance of this weapon, and the Germans would make some good short term gains, but would loose it soon enough due to the preponderance of Russian units on that front.

Also, Hitler might attach it to a V2 and strike London (it is a vengeance weapon), or hit the Allies near the beaches of Normandy.

Lots of possibilities, but I imaginge it just causes even more death and destruction without affecting the results too much.

Now the real question is how fast are the Germans able to produce subsequent bombs. If they have only the one, then it's not much use. If they could produce 2 or 3, then they could have a greater affect.

Nuclear summer, eh?

Comment

I'm thinking he'd use it against the Soviets just because... especially if there's only one. If he's got more than one, then one East and maybe one West to convince the Allies to back-off (which of couse would only strengthen the Allied resolve to utterly squash him and probably have the US switch targets for their bombs). He's not going to break the US/UK alliance, he's just going to make them more determined by using it/them against them (granted he doesn't know this, but he did want a negotiated peace with the UK and having this 'superweapon' and threatening London with it might give the West pause... in his mind) so why not take out what he can of his arch-nemisis Stalin and 'send a warning' to the West to back-off or you'll get one too?

There's no doubt in my mind that Stalin gets at least one 'shroom.
      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

other that it's a highly unplausible what if, if a nuke was available to germany, the question is when.

but let's assume that Flash Gordon fails and Emperor Ming, does supply Germany with Nukes..

1944, 1945? earlier?

of course it means the war ends as central London gets destroyd, or even New York (submarine launched nuke) and then of course Moscow .

... a nuke armed Mistel anyone?
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

No, No, No you fellows got it all wrong

Hitler would have detonated it over Berlin, killing himself, most of the Russian army, and therefore proofing to the allies, that he only wanted to save the world from Communism.

WildeSau

Comment

Originally posted by WildeSau View Post
            No, No, No you fellows got it all wrong

Hitler would have detonated it over Berlin, killing himself, most of the Russian army, and therefore proofing to the allies, that he only wanted to save the world from Communism.

WildeSau
            He did want the German people to die with him, after all. . .

Maybe he goes crazy(ier) and nukes some random country. I suggest Uraguay. I've heard too many jokes from that nation's name.

Comment

daemonofdecay
              Maybe he goes crazy(ier) and nukes some random country. I suggest Uraguay. I've heard too many jokes from that nation's name.
              Yeah, Adolf would have sacrificed the German population for a “free” Europe. And he had objections against gays like Homer Simpson

WildeSau

Comment

Positively and absolutly Nukes the Russians first. And probably tries to take out either Stalin or Zhukov.(how do you spell Zhukov, it changes every time I see it in writing)
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                  Positively and absolutly Nukes the Russians first. And probably tries to take out either Stalin or Zhukov.(how do you spell Zhukov, it changes every time I see it in writing)
                  Actually I only know the following spelling:

Zhukov, Georgi Konstantinovich (russian: Георгий Константинович Жуков)
                  Georgi Konstantinowitsch Schukow (is the German writing).

WildeSau
                  Last edited by Kruska; 10 Mar 07, 01:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post

Based on the U.S. production experience, Germany would have only created 1or 2 bombs by the end of the war (time) under this scenario.

Thus, the biggest impact of the bomb would have to be calculated as the shock impact of its detonation as well as the political-military dimension.

It would have been used against the Russians and the City would have been Moscow -- if the German High Command had its way. The loss of the entire upper Kremlin leadership including Stalin could have seriously derailed the centralized control of the war effort; stalling the Soviet push.

Combined with a strong "bluff" i.e. we have more such weapons -- it could have brought a negotiated settlement to the war.

If Hitler had his way, the target might have been London.

VM

Comment

Read a blip about a book written by an old Italian gent who was sent by Mussolini to see what the Germans had regarding advanced weaponry circa 44? & claimed he saw a nuke detonated in the Baltic. Seems rather sci fi to me. Why would "he" be the only witness to speak after 60 plus years?

Comment

i think this article refers to an explosion of a massive "fire-bomb" in the baltic, which was probably a version of explosive close to Napalm. but no nukes.
                        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

There is no way to transport a WW2 area nuke on a V2.

In fact, ONLY the B-29 could carry it with any acceptable speed and height. Using a ME Gigant or similar junk would only have had the bomb lost. Even if the Germans had a B-29 alike machine, they didn't have the means to protect it. Most likely, it wouldn't even have gotten across the frontlines.

If he could, Hitler would have used it in the West. Hurting Anglo-Saxon armies had priority so that they would leave and let him defeat the Soviet union (his thinking, not mine).

Comment

"& claimed he saw a nuke detonated in the Baltic. "

Had a true atomic bomb been detonated in the Baltic the Magentic Pulse would have thrown circut breakers on the power grid & telephone & radio system all across southern Sweden, Denmark, northern Germany, & the Batic States.

The original Trinity test tripped telephone & power system surge breakers for several hundred miles. Both the Hiroshima & Nagasaki detonations scrambled the same in locations all over Japan. the Crossroads test in 1946 tripped telephone switchboard cricut breakers in Hawaii.

Such a unexpected event from a German test shot would have caused a well recorded panic as German military communications were momentarily disrupted.

Comment

could the Heinkel He-177 and variants carry a nuke?

anyway Emperor ming would surely also have provided the means to carry that fantasy nuke.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X