Little Boy Lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Boy Lost?

What if the USS Indianapolis had been sunk carrying the atomic bomb, "Little Boy" on its way to Tinian Island? Would the loss of Charles Butler McVey's ship have delayed the use of nuclear weapons on Japan maybe culminating on the Enola Gay dropping the more powerful plutonium device, "Fat Man" on Kokura, for example?

How far would this have affected the conventional war on Japan. Would we have seen preparations for a large-scale amphibious and paratroop assault on the Japanese mainland. Could the United States, fearing many suicide attacks by the Japanese military and civilians,have compelled the Soviet Union to join the war against Japan to take the pressure off American, British and Australian forces.

Would The U.S. have pinned it all on the threat of nuclear annihilation of Japan, extending the war's end to maybe to January1946?
    Last edited by Sign&Print Name; 24 Feb 07, 13:07. Reason: typo
    Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

To my knowledge the US Indianapolis wasn't carrying the bomb itself( I could be wrong) it was carrying parts of it to Tinian. So I dont know if those would be replacable or not. But the other would definatly been used but i think the japanese were almost ready to surrender anyways so one might have been enough.
    "All Glory is Fleeting"

Comment

Originally posted by Sign&Print Name View Post
      What if the USS Indianapolis had been sunk carrying the atomic bomb, "Little Boy" on its way to Tinian Island? Would the loss of Charles Butler McVey's ship have delayed the use of nuclear weapons on Japan maybe culminating on the Enola Gay dropping the more powerful plutonium device, "Fat Man" on Kokura, for example?

How far would this have affected the conventional war on Japan. Would we have seen preparations for a large-scale amphibious and paratroop assault on the Japanese mainland. Could the United States, fearing many suicide attacks by the Japanese military and civilians,have compelled the Soviet Union to join the war against Japan to take the pressure off American, British and Australian forces.

Would The U.S. have pinned it all on the threat of nuclear annihilation of Japan, extending the war's end to maybe to January1946?

let's assume that "little boy" was lost in whatever way.

it would mean that the first atom bomb drop would have happened a few days later... in any case Japan had decided to surrender anyway without the bombs.

but the "show" to Stalin was very much needed and wanted by Trumann.
      "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X