Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Japan Invaded Mexico in June of 1942?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Japan Invaded Mexico in June of 1942?

I wrote the following article a few months back. It talks about a scenario in the summer of 1942 where the Japanese invaded Mexico and heading north to Los Angeles instead of invading Alaska.

According to my research, there was one general ready and waiting: George Patton.

Feedback is more than welcome.
    Historian on the Warpath | Medievalism on Screen: An Annotated Bibliography

200,000 Japanese troops??? From where??

Japan used fewer than 7 infantry divisions to take the southeastern Pacific and had supply difficulties even supplying them. Where do you propse they even find the shipping for 200,000 ships? or the landing craft? the troops ships? or the means to fuel the warships and convoys?

This is preposterous.

Patton was dreaming,...or hysterical.
    Last edited by The Purist; 29 Nov 06, 23:01.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmanning View Post
      It talks about a scenario in the summer of 1942 where the Japanese invaded Mexico and heading north to Los Angeles instead of invading Alaska.
      Well
      At least they would have the surprise element on their side if nothing else

Is it me
      or are some of the recent threads on this forum showing a total lack of understanding of the role of logistics in warfare

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
        Well

Is it me
        or are some of the recent threads on this forum showing a total lack of understanding of the role of logistics in warfare
        Logistics is only the start. More like a total lack of what is even remotely possible,...period.
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
          Well

Is it me
          amateurs study tactics,professionals study logistics.

I've read and heard this over the years but can't remember who it was originally attributed to.Anyone know?
          If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by scottmanning View Post
            I wrote the following article a few months back. It talks about a scenario in the summer of 1942 where the Japanese invaded Mexico and heading north to Los Angeles instead of invading Alaska.

According to my research, there was one general ready and waiting: George Patton.

Feedback is more than welcome.
            And people call me a Nut.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              Patton was dreaming,...or hysterical.
              Agreed. Patton sometimes did tend to say the darnest things. This reminds me of his comments regarding the capabilities of the Red Army on which he suggested an attack on the Red Army. You don`t need to guess twice they were far from the actual state.

This proves that Patton was a "cowboy" general who took little regard of logistics (no offence to his fans).

EDIT: The author is similar to Patton as he desribes Pattons premise as "realistic".
              Last edited by Tom Phoenix; 30 Nov 06, 01:31.
              "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Patton obviously had no understanding of what kind of force the Japanese could have produced in such an invasion. In the article, I put the logistics of the invasion force the Japanese had for the Alaska and it's obvious that the threat was very small (2,500 ground troops total).

We can look back on this incident and call Patton "nuts", because we have the advantage of knowing much more than he did. Yet, I think this was a foreshadowing of the brilliance shown by Patton in the Battle of the Bulge. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phoenix View Post
                  EDIT: The author is similar to Patton as he desribes Pattons premise as "realistic".
                  It was a theoretical statement. I said, "If the Japanese were serious about invading Mexico and aimed for Orange County and Los Angeles, General Patton's theory of 200,000 ground troops would have been realistic."

I'm not saying the Japanese could produce such a force; I'm saying that it would take such a force to accomplish the objective Patton believed they were after.

Perhaps I should make this clearer. Do you understand what I'm saying if I change the sentence to read "If General Patton was correct about the Japanese intentions, then 200,000 ground troops would have been needed to accomplish the objective."
                  Last edited by scottmanning; 30 Nov 06, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                    I've read and heard this over the years but can't remember who it was originally attributed to.Anyone know?
                    It's in the bibliography. The story was recorded by Porter B. Williamson who served under Patton at the time.

Williamson, Porter B. (1979). Patton's principles. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster. pp. 122-125.

Comment

ok, let's assume the Japanese could carry 200'000 troops - or 10'000 troops - across the pacific. why get stuck in Mexico.

just land in San Diego, LA or San Francisco and create havic. rape the white women, loot, pillage, etc.?
                      "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

I think La Paz is the only decent port in Baja California Sur. It's a long way from La Paz to Tijuana along the coastal plain.
                        Last edited by The Doctor; 30 Nov 06, 11:12.
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post

I think La Paz is the only decent port in Baja California Sur. It's a long way from La Paz to Tijuana along the coastal plain.
                          Looking at that map, I suddenly wonder what the combination of Saki & Tequila would do for the Fighting Spirit of your average Japanese Soldier.

By the way, I wasn't calling Patton a "Nut", I was referring more to the guy who started this Topic, when I said "And People Call Me A Nut".

Respectfully of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                            By the way, I wasn't calling Patton a "Nut", I was referring more to the guy who started this Topic, when I said "And People Call Me A Nut".

Respectfully of course.
                            Funny enough, I find that less offensive... I think.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
                              ok, let's assume the Japanese could carry 200'000 troops - or 10'000 troops - across the pacific. why get stuck in Mexico.

just land in San Diego, LA or San Francisco and create havic. rape the white women, loot, pillage, etc.?
                              Good question. I think Patton's assumption was that landing in Mexico would be easier due to defenses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Adults Rashid Dostur
                                by casanova
                                The Warlord Abdul Rashid Dostur came back to Afghanistan and was promoted to military marshal by the Afghanian president Ashraf Ghani. ...
                                Today, 00:48
                              • casanova
                                Alouette III
                                by casanova
                                The military helicopter Alouette Iii will be staioned off duty in 1923 because of oldness by the Austrian airforce. The Austrian airfoce wants to buy...
                                Today, 00:22
                              • casanova
                                Israel Army
                                by casanova
                                The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
                                Yesterday, 23:15
                              Working...
                              X