No "War of Independance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "War of Independance"

What if there wasn't a US War of Independance and the US and Canada had become peacefully, one Commonweath Counrty?

How different would the world look today? and would British Empire have expanded even larger still than it got to at the height of its power?

You can imagine the war's WWI + WWII would have been different, if the US had entered the wars with the British at the same time as each other.
    Roger, I see them. Attacking now

that's a very interesting what if - and a very plausible one.

what if the British won the war of independence or had been tolerant and accomodating enough to avoid one.

the real question then is, would North America have evolved like it did. with immigration from all over the world and an agressive conquering posture in ti's land mass?

probably not.

less immigrants - or only from britain, hannover, etc. and later from British empire - lots more indians, for example, but not enough to advance agressively in the mid-west.

the west part of the US would probably remain fairly empty or spanish influenced longer. and what about the mid-west and south-west? more french? would noth america be like africa? with territories empty and controlled by the imperial powers of europe?

after that, it's a wild assumption... would there even be a ww1?
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971
      would there even be a ww1?
      Would there even have been a French Revolution? Without the expense of supporting the colonists, and the boost to liberal ideas given by the victory, there might have been a process of evolution in which the French king becomes a constitutional monarch, guided by the Estates General, and Napoleon remains a relatively obscure officer of artillery. It's fairly unlikely, mind, since France is in quite a bit of trouble at the moment. She might even have had to sell Louisiana to balance the books, although I'm sure she'd have got a better price for it.

Although the spark for the Second Anglo-Mysore War is the War of Independence, things on the Indian subcontinent probably would have kicked off anyway: too many vested interests. However, if France doesn't go through the revolution, she might have maintained an interest in India for some time- not strong enough to conquer, but strong enough to cause trouble for the British and delay expansion. The French Canadians might also cause a bit of trouble: they would certainly feel a lot more anxious about their position, considering how outnumbered they are by English Protestants.
      Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

Comment

Dont discount Spain.

I think the US southern border and west coast would be a lot higher.
        (and I don't mean from smoking dope )

Remember the Alamo

PS. Hawaii might be a Independant Monarchy still not a State.
        Last edited by Aussie Dave; 22 Nov 06, 21:15.

Comment

Oh my God no!Then we'd all be speaking funny and drinking tea.
          If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
            Oh my God no!Then we'd all be speaking funny and drinking tea.
            Funny post.

Drinking Tea?
            Yeah proverbly.

Speaking Funny?
            Wasn't America a "ENGLISH" speaking British Colony to begin with?
            ( But Dang it, you guys sure doo speak funny now)

Could have been worse if you were a French Colony.
            Then it would be more like "Aha, Wee Wee, Poo Poo".

Comment

Drinking Tea? I love some good sweet tea with plenty of ice.

we speak good American,especially in the South wher i'm from.The people in the Northeast still talk funny

French colony?Saints preserve us.
              If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

On the other hand, Clinton may have wound up chasing Anne Murray around the white house instead of Barbara "Schnozilla" Streisand,so it might not have been all bad.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

common ground

Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                  we speak good American,especially in the South wher i'm from.The people in the Northeast still talk funny
                  Actually the US and Britain have that in common, - Regional Accents.
                  (eg. you can tell a Texan from a New Yorker by the accent.)

Travel to Britain, same thing but even more extreme.
                  You travel only 20-30 miles and their accent is different again?
                  (eg. London. The Toffee-Nose upperclass from the West End and the Cockneys in East London sound totally different)

In Australia we dont have Regional Accents as such.
                  (eg. Sydney and Perth are on oppersite sides of Australia, but our accents are exactly the same in both cities.)

Our mates the Kiwi's,(New Zealand) sound a lot like Australians but they say their 'I's funny.
                  (eg. "Fish & Chips" comes out as "Fush & Chups" and "Six" comes out as "Sux" or "Sex".)

Cheers

ps. Canadians and Americans sound the same to me.
                  Can you guys tell each other apart from your accents?
                  (I'm not taking the P*SS out of you guys. - Serious Question.)
                  Last edited by Aussie Dave; 23 Nov 06, 10:19.

Comment

"Can you guys tell each other apart from your accents?"

Yes, tho its something one has to cultivate a ear for.

Ie: a fellow from Michegan or the northern edge of Indiana will pronunce 'fish' with a long e instead of a short i. Conversely the lady from that norther district will pronounce 'jewelry' jew el ry, while seventy kilometers further south here it is more comonly slurred into 'julry'

Theres some subtle differences in dress & sports prefrences, and few other practical daily cultural artifacts.

ie: Southerners from the non snow regions who attempt to dwell a winter in the north tend to be a bit confused about the purpose of things like thermal underwear, antifreeze for the car, salt for roads & sidewalks.

ie: Northerners have no clue what Kudzu might be.

Certain foods delinate differences. ie: barbecue varies almost by county if not by township. Anything other than what you were raised on is obviously a fraud & not fit to carry the name.

Comment

accents

Aussies seem to lose their accents when living overseas in foreign countries.
                      eg. Years ago my cousin Pete, spent a couple of years in Ohio as a Exchange Student,
                      but when he came back to Australia he had an American Accent.

(He actually became the High Schools Star-Quarterback playing American Football in the town he went to. - He was even in their local newspapers for winning games.)

Now the Scottish on the other hand never lose their accent?
                      (30 years in a foreign country and they still sound like they just stepped off the boat.)

ps. Pete now has his aussie accent back. - Fair Dinkum, Cobbers
                      Last edited by Aussie Dave; 24 Nov 06, 14:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Dave View Post
                        In Australia we dont have Regional Accents as such.
                        (eg. Sydney and Perth are on oppersite sides of Australia, but our accents are exactly the same in both cities.)
                        I think Queenlanders have bit more of Aussie accent than the rest of the country. When I meet my cousin hushand for the first time, I new right away he was from Queenland without asking, I know by his accent.

Also I'm from the country. And when I go to Melbourne. People will say to me, where are you from, and I say the country, and they will reply I though so, you sound like you are from the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Dave View Post
                          Now the Scottish on the other hand never lose their accent?
                          (30 years in a foreign country and they still sound like they just stepped of the boat.)
                          I noticed the same. The Scottish here where I am at tend to hold on to their accent a lot longer than some others. I think that the more different an accent is, the longer it seems to be remained noticed.

Another thing I've noticed, is that separation from the origin of the accent is the quickest way to lose it. For example, there are a lot of Irish in this country. I have encountered some that have almost no trace of Irish accent within a few years because they work and live in a mixed American atmosphere, yet I know second generation Irish that still have an accent because they spend a lot of time within Irish communities that will always have an influx of new Irish immigrants.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Let's "reaccent" the original point if we may.

The U.S. remains British, Lousiana still becomes part of British North America during the Napoleonic Wars.

No Mexican War because Britain has not reason to quarrel with Mexico. So British North America does not include Texas, California etc.

Would Britain try to seize Alaska from Russia during the Crimean War? I don't see Russia selling Alaska the Britain at any time.

With the slave trade aboilished in 1808, the southern colonies take on a whole new look.

Would enough immigrants wanting slaves go to Texas anyway and still precipitate Texas independence?

If so, would that lead to a Texican empire that includes California, Chihuahua and Sonora?
                            Last edited by grognard; 24 Nov 06, 07:33. Reason: typos

Comment

I Like Beer too

Originally posted by neon View Post
                              I think Queenlanders have bit more of Aussie accent than the rest of the country. When I meet my cousin hushand for the first time, I new right away he was from Queenland without asking, I know by his accent.

Also I'm from the country. And when I go to Melbourne. People will say to me, where are you from, and I say the country, and they will reply I though so, you sound like you are from the country.
                              Huh!!! "hushand" - HaHa, Hey have you been drinking?
                              OR maybe its his name: "Cousin Hushand"?

and "Queenland" - Sounds like a Amusement Park for Gay Men

Yeah mate, the accent is a sometimes a little stronger in country regional areas, but its still the same accent..

cheers
                              Last edited by Aussie Dave; 24 Nov 06, 14:30.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X