What if the Germans used u-boats as a supply vessels in Sealion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andy H View Post
    Well I've come across some rather far fetched ideas and 'facts' concerning Seelowe in my time but this one sits at the top.

Just because a nation has X submarines in commision, doesn't then mean that X submarines are available for operations. The Germans in there proposed invasion plans, had to utilize U-Boats from the training schools. Some of those boats couldn't even dive because of problems with there rubber seals. There was also a rubber shortage at this time due to the other priorities for Seelowe. Others had worn engines that precluded them reaching anything near there proposed speeds.

Somebody mentioned using Italian submarines Well anybody who knows anything about Italian submarines (available historically) will realise how silly this proposal was.

I've skimmed through many of the pages but has anybody mentioned how fodder for the horses was to be transported in the U-Boats?

Regards
    Historically there were supposed to be around 5000 horses in Sealion, each horse eats ~10 kg a day so the daily supply for them would be 50 tons - relatively insignificant compared to the 3000 tons a day overall requirement.

As to the rest of your arguments - I've addressed the subs availability issue from the start by defining that there would be ~50% - 70% of the available uboats used.
    As to the italian subs - why not? They would not have to engage.
    Besides there were some good successes of italian subs against the british so I wouldn't dismiss a 25 subs fleet just like that.
    But finally as I said - I have a better 'what if' idea in which the u-boat supply may be part of - maybe I'll post a separate thread if I have some time.
    If you believe, you receive.
    If you doubt, you go without.

Comment

• Your figures concerning the horses a wrong, and I haven't got time at the moment, but I'll get back to you later today with the actual figures. Also its not the weight that's the problem but the size of actual food bails. A 10kg bail of hay takes up a lot more room than a 10kg box of nails for example.
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• The only figure that comes close to yours is an intial 4500 being landed in the first wave. After that we get figures anywhere from 50-75,000 horses landing on the following waves.

Now we have a figure somewhere between 500-750tons per day, and that's a big chunk of your stated 3000tons. Obviously some could be offset by natural grazing, but its still a headache to supply, and what a fire risk on a submarine.

Regards
        Last edited by Andy H; 11 Mar 07, 22:20.
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Yes, my supply figures were intended for the first wave. (~100 000 troops)
          hence the required 3000 tons per day.
          If you believe, you receive.
          If you doubt, you go without.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X