Nukes authorized in Korean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nukes authorized in Korean War

During the last month or so of this new korean nuclear crisis a thought came across me. "What wouldve happened if McArthur was authorized to use nukes?"
    what usually comes to my mind is what would the soviets wouldve done. Would they have retaliated or distanced themselves from the war. What are your thoughts and opinions?
    "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
    - 6thInf Grandson

i doubt very much whether they would have used them. the soviets had only just aquired atomic weapons and the americans must have stock piled them for some years so they must have known they couldn't have achieved anything.
    Big40 events. By skinheads for skinheads.

Comment

From the start the use of nuclear weapons was regularly evaluated, & set aside for a variety og reasons. The political considerations were one set. The lack of appropriate targets was another. In the Summer of of 1950 Soeul was the best target from a military standpoint. The NKPA supply channeled through it, both by rail, auto, and ship. Of course it is silly to think of a bombing the capitol of ones ally, so the city was bombed to rubble with small weapons.

In 1953, long after MacAurthur was retired Eisenhower approved orders for a battalion of US 280mm guns and nuclear ammunition to be sent to Japan. This unit was parked at the docks ready to move to Korea on 24 hours notice. US intellgence agents then made sure communist spies in Japan knew of this. Shortly afterwards the North Koerans & Chinese represenatives at the negotiations reach several critical agreements with the UN represenatives and the fighting soon ended.

(source: Fehrenbach; This Kind of War)

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
        In 1953, long after MacAurthur was retired Eisenhower approved orders for a battalion of US 280mm guns and nuclear ammunition to be sent to Japan. This unit was parked at the docks ready to move to Korea on 24 hours notice. US intellgence agents then made sure communist spies in Japan knew of this. Shortly afterwards the North Koerans & Chinese represenatives at the negotiations reach several critical agreements with the UN represenatives and the fighting soon ended.

(source: Fehrenbach; This Kind of War)
        I think the thing that contributed the most to the ending of the Korean War was not the threat of American nukes but the death of Stalin.
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X