Seehunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seehunds

As I have read and understand it, these German mini-submarines were first thought of early on into WWII, yet were not developed until very late in the war.

What if they had been built and released early in WWII, would they have made much of a difference in the outcome?
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Doubtful, in my humble opinion, due to the inherent limitations in range, armament and projection of power inherent in such limited designs.

I would have to say the same thing of the British X-craft. Brilliant innovations to meet specific needs, but of no real value in the larger theater of war.

The Japanese had midget subs at Pearl Harbor, and did not find a good use for them thereafter and they did not contribute meaningfully even at Pearl.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

the italians had some very successfull mini-subs to enter ports and managed to sink major warships. i.e. in Alexandria, Egypt.
      "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Actually, the Italians didn't have any mini-subs at all. What they had were essentially manned torpedos that two men could ride while wearing diving suits.

That they used their "chariots" so effectively was a tribute to the bravery of the crews.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

aren't manned torpedoes mini-subs?

in the current S&T there is an interesting artricle on the first subs used in the US civil war...
          "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
            the italians had some very successfull mini-subs to enter ports and managed to sink major warships. i.e. in Alexandria, Egypt.
            The commander of the mini-subs who sank the British battleships, went over to the Allied side when his country declared war against Germany, and led another attack, this time sinking an Italian cruiser captured by the Germans

Comment

that's Luigi Durand de la Penne, right? I met his grandson this summer... interesting guy.... (the "Maiali" commander)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X