The battle for Berlin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The battle for Berlin.

1)Ok what if Hitler had let his generals persuade him to try to breakout of berlin. What that have just prolonged his defeat or would ot shorten it ?

2)I know this is going to be frowned upon but what IF russias attacks on berlin failed and they werent really advanced anywhere? What would have happened?

3) What if all german armies retreated to berlin and stood fast there.

Answer by using the numbers. Also please dont say stuff like that wouldnt hve ever happened because rememeber this is a what if.
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.
    --Napoleon Bonaparte

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. --Napoleon Bonaparte

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. --Douglas MacArthur

Originally posted by TheGrandArmee
    1)Ok what if Hitler had let his generals persuade him to try to breakout of berlin. What that have just prolonged his defeat or would ot shorten it ?

2)I know this is going to be frowned upon but what IF russias attacks on berlin failed and they werent really advanced anywhere? What would have happened?

3) What if all german armies retreated to berlin and stood fast there.

Answer by using the numbers. Also please dont say stuff like that wouldnt hve ever happened because rememeber this is a what if.
    Can't provide mathmatical formula's but I like the what if's.

1) The only place they could have gone is the Alps. He would have been like Saddam hiding in holes and farmhouses. There were no fortified positions much less an "Alpine Redoubt". Berlin was the only major city left. Maybe he could have gone to Army Group Center which had the largest body of troops left. Or what if he had been smuggled out on a u-boat to Argentina?

2) If the Russians had been halted at the Heights and the river, then the Western front would have still been rolled up and the western allies would have finished them. Then the post-war division of the country would still have been a conclusion. Stopping the Russians alone would not have changed the outcome.

3) Now I like this one. What if the Wehrmacht had time to pull everything left back to Berlin and the outlying areas. All remaining Luftwaffe fighters, all Volksturm units, all Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine ground units, every last AFV and soldier of the Army and Waffen-SS. A hasty interlocking perimeter set up to give time for more fortified positions to be prepared. I wish I had the numbers for something like this. It would have been incredible. A true last stand. It would have been horrible for the Allies to be sure. Any airfields available to the Germans would have been destroyed unless every last anti-aircraft gun left were all deployed to provide a vast web of AA fire. The last interceptors would be severly outnumbered and within a few weeks at the most would be gone forever. High altitude bombing would turn Berlin to dust. Any threat of urban warfare would be erased by this. Perhaps the Allies would simply stand off and ring the entire area with artillery and pound them with relentless pounding day and night. The Germans would see the stupidity of their defense and desperately try to launch counter attacks that would be pinched off and wiped out.

Without air superiority, resupply, and reinforcement, there is an inevitable conclusion...defeat.
    Last edited by BegleitKommando; 01 Aug 06, 09:50.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X