Tank Never Invented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Never Invented

One of the most influential inventions in the course of modern warfare, the tank allows unprecidented mobility, and massive firepower and the abilit to command the battlefield. Coming from humble, clanking beginings during WW1, this behemouth now inspires terror in the hearts of soldiers everywhere. Its capabilities have inspired the so-called cult of speed in today's military planners and allows for lightning warfare.

But, what if it never happened? What if the tank never got invented? How would warfare be today? How would past wars have been affeced?

Well its very unlikely because the invention of tanks go in pair with the advent of the automobile but since this is alternative history I guess WW1 would have ended in a stalemate and a negociated peace.

Comment

I don`t belive the tank had so much influence in WW1 that it would cause a stalemate. I think it would end in German defeat in any case. But the second German defeat (WWII) would come a lot sooner since the Germans wouldnt have been able to use Blitzkrieg tactics.
      "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phoenix
        I don`t belive the tank had so much influence in WW1 that it would cause a stalemate. I think it would end in German defeat in any case. But the second German defeat (WWII) would come a lot sooner since the Germans wouldnt have been able to use Blitzkrieg tactics.
        I agree.
        but...
        no tank, or different tank development?

imagine tanks would have been developed as landships and became even alrger and larger - like those huge crawlers in Star Wars Ep.IV on Tatooine
        .. .huge, multitracked multigunned, heavyly armoured landships, with 30-50 crew...

...of course a dead end as too vulnerable..
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

The only thing that I see stopping the tank's development is the caterpiller tracks not working. In which case I think you'd see 'walkers' and 'crawlers' until the invention of the hovercraft! But what you'd almost certainly see is an increased speed of development in aircraft and helicopters.
          Signing out.

Comment

If tanks had never been invented, I could see some outlandish body armor being developed to stop bullets.
            "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Comment

If no tanks would have been in existence, then the Germans would still have lost WW1, but WW2 (should it still occur) would be completely different. I assume that if tanks did not exist then halftracks would not either. This means that troops would all be moved in trucks, which being of no fighting value would have meant that attacks would have to be made entirely by infantry as in WW1. On the other hand, exploitation of a breakthrough could still be effected at a quicker pace with the use of trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by wwagstyl
                If no tanks would have been in existence, then the Germans would still have lost WW1....
                I'm not sure that's true...it would have been a race to see whose mutiny forced them out of the war second (after the Russians) -- France or Germany. No matter which, I think the war would have dragged on another year at least.

I agree with your comments on WW2 -- we would probably have seen an increased use of real cavalry* in WW2.

* i.e., horse-mounted.
                Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Agree with Janos... Cavalry had ruled the battlefields at least a bit longer. But with the introduction of the Machine-Guns, the time for infantry/cavalry mass attacks was over.

So, when the tanks never appeared...maybe the planes got even more dominant

MK
                  The advance is extraordinary difficult, because of three reasons. First of them, as always, is the high fighting spirit of the German soldier.Gen. Eisenhower in a letter to Gen. Marshall, July 1944

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971
                    I agree.
                    but...
                    no tank, or different tank development?

imagine tanks would have been developed as landships and became even alrger and larger - like those huge crawlers in Star Wars Ep.IV on Tatooine
                    .. .huge, multitracked multigunned, heavyly armoured landships, with 30-50 crew...

...of course a dead end as too vulnerable..
                    I think this idea. I think that would have been interesting...
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                      -- we would probably have seen an increased use of real cavalry* in WW2.

* i.e., horse-mounted.
                      Can't say i agree here. In my opinion cavalry would still be maintained, but in smaller numbers, and the remainder of cavalry regiments would become motorised infantry or armoured car regiments. This brings me to another point, if there were no tanks, then there could be a larger development of armoured cars, with armoured doctrine being centred around armoured car divisions instead of tanks. Going back to cavalry, they no longer were of use mounted in combat because of the dominance of machine guns. If cavalry did survive then it would probably exist as it did in polish and russian armies, as mounted infantry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X