Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If Hitler Never Declared War On the U.S. After Pearl Harbor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If Hitler Never Declared War On the U.S. After Pearl Harbor?

Well, as we all know a few day after Pearl Harbor Hitler Foolishly declared war on the U.S.

I was wondering, what does everyone think would have happened if Hitler had not delared war on the U.S.?

Jeff

You mean apart from the fact the Japs would be furious?

Well, all I can really say is that the US would not get involved in the ETO. Unless (which is likely) the US would declare war on Germany for being Japans ally.
    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

thing is, in both world wars, before the DoW, US population was not with stron anymosity vs. Germany... goebbels propaganda machine did a good work int he US, and the US strong anti-semitism also helped.

yes, Japan would be furious! but then.. they did not attack the USSR.. so...

German U-boote attacks on US merchant fleet would also be smaller then.. so more supplies to Britain...

if the US went at war with Japan, it probably would have gone for a Japan first strategy, much to the disappointment of the architect of US entry in War, Roosevelt.

It would probably mean a faster victory of the US in the Pacific... with possibly invasion of Taiwan and a stronger involvement in China/burma with Japan kicked out of Indonesia perhaps.. and so strangling even faster Japan's ability to fight.

the question is then, would a nuke-armed USA be able to impose peace on a struggling hitler, in the Russian quagmire?

or would the US joined britain and Germany against the russian Soviets?
      "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

we would have fought them eventually

Comment

I think that both you and piero are correct.

I do think that we would have defeated Japan sooner than we actually did, but also we still would have eventually fought Nazi Germany(especially if we follow on what Hitler's 2nd book has stated).

Jeff

Originally posted by tanker55
          we would have fought them eventually

Comment

Hitler wrote a second book? I'm assumin Mein Kampf was the first.

What was it?

Konev

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
              Hitler wrote a second book? I'm assumin Mein Kampf was the first.

What was it?

Konev
              It was an untitled book. It elaborated on the ideas in mein kampf. It was never published since by the time he finished writing it, Hitler did not think there would be a market for it. The allies discovered the original manuscripts when they occupied Germany. It has since then been translated into English and the history/military channel did a special on it last year. I don't know if there were any real revelations in it, but apparently Hitler recognized the USA as a potential threat.
              "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I would have to say that as long as Roosevelt was in power in the US,we would have gotten into war with Germany regardless. It all but exsisted anyway with American ships providing security on British convoys and material support to the USSR.

Germany,USA and the UK combining to fight the reds? I shudder to think of the egos involved in Patton,Monty and Sepp Detrich driving towards Moscow.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I was under the impression that Japan and Germany had a mutual defense treaty of sorts at the time. This was the catalyst for the German political response to Pearl Harbor.

I don't doubt we would have entered the war fully at some point.
                  "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - attributed to Edmund Burke

Comment

Wellll,yeah. But it pretty much belonged in the strange bedfellow file. Both took turns hanging the other out to dry while the other went to war with the USSR and prior to the war,Hitler backed Chang's Nationalist govt more then the US did. (the first acknowledged German KIA of WW2 was in fact,A german advisor killed in a Japanese artillery barrage in 193...4,I believe.)
                    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

The pact between Germany and Japan was a defensive one, so Hitler did not need to declare war on the US.
                      Hitler does not declare war on US, US goes after Japan, stays out of Europe.
                      More carriers in Pacific sooner--Wasp for instance didn't arrive until after Midway. US does win against japan sooner. Maybe even before Abomb is developed.
                      But USSR is still clobbering Germany, that won't change much even without lend-lease to Russia.
                      The question is when does Japan surrender and what is the situation on europe when Japan does surrender?
                      Would the US and UK try to bolster the continent against the Soviet juggernaut or try to help Russia finish off the Nazis?

My guess is the US shifts everything from the Pacific quickly and the westwern allies throw everything they can onto the continent as quickly as possible to liberate what they can and hold the Communists somewhere.

But the timeline is crucial. Congress would not have allowed Roosevelt to start a war with Germany unless Germany "forced" the US into it.
                      The question is where is the Red Army if and when the western allies finally get into France or Germany itself.

Comment

yes, that was the times when only Congress could declare wars...
                        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by grognard
                          But USSR is still clobbering Germany, that won't change much even without lend-lease to Russia.
                          This is very questionable. The Soviets can still stop the Wehrmacht without Lend-Lease aid but they won't be able to launch and maintain their own massive offensives that 'clobbered' the Germans from 1943 onwards.

Would the US and UK try to bolster the continent against the Soviet juggernaut or try to help Russia finish off the Nazis?
                          There is less than a snowballs chance in hell of the Western Allies assisting Germany against the Soviets. Historically it took a lot to change the perception of the USSR from 'friend' to 'enemy' and I can't see that being different in this timeline. Nazism's evils are overt, Soviet-style Communism's are far more subtle except with the benefit of hindsight.

But the timeline is crucial. Congress would not have allowed Roosevelt to start a war with Germany unless Germany "forced" the US into it. The question is where is the Red Army if and when the western allies finally get into France or Germany itself.
                          I think the Red Army would still be east of Brest-Litovsk!

It's implicit in your post that Congress would support a war against the USSR without the kind of casus belli it would take to get it to agree to a war against Germany. Why do you think that?
                          Signing out.

Comment

with an afterthought, this scenario would probably mean wither a negotiated peace between Great-britain, France and Germany on one side, and perhaps a long long exhausting struggle (which hitler would have liked in his ideas of "strenghtening though fire" the german race) between Germany and the Soviet-Slavic Russia..
                            a long struggle that UK and the USA would have liked.. (sell weapons to all sides, weakening of both belligerants)

Comment

Simple:
                              The Japs broke our alliance by accepting a cease-fire with the Russians, thus leaving us alone. Act of cowardice and barbarism if you ask me.

Hitler (pressured by the Navy) dow'ed the USA. He fulfilled the conditions of the tripartite pact which Japan didn't, stupid decision.
                              The USA produced more war material than every other nation combined!

YOU CANNOT BEAT THE USA!
                              I wish I could have told and convinced Hitler...

The only problem Roosevelt had was his population. Nobody wanted war.
                              He tried his best but failed. Finally he managed to lure Japan into attacking the US. Unfortunately Hitler was dumb enough to follow.
                              At the time when Hitler dow'ed the US, Roosevelt didn't have the mandate to dow Germany and he never would have.
                              The war would have turned out very differently if not for the intervention of the USA and their vast shipments of war material to the Soviet Union.

Hitler's fault, no question.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X