Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UN goes all out in Korea?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UN goes all out in Korea?

    What if the UN had gone all out against the CCF. In the Korean war the US did not launch anymore offensives into North Korea because they were afraid it might hinder US truce talks They also did not bomb airfields in China or chinese cities. What if the UN had not done any of this but kept the push to kick the communist back up until they were driven across the Yalu?

    IMO the UN could have done it.

  • #2
    I think it could and it should have. but the US/UN did not call the bluff of China and USSR that if war woudl continue, it might precipitate a WW3 that the west was not willing nor able to fight in the 50's.
    of course we now know that the USSR and China also did not have the means nor the willingness to fight WW3 over Korea....
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

    Comment


    • #3
      Most probable outcome IMO would be that during the UN assault on N Korea the Chinese and Soviets would rattle their sabres, and eventually the UN would back down for fear of actually going too far. End result is that most likely there would still be a N. Korea, but possibly a smaller country than the one now, as UN stops and goes to the diplomatic option.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think anyone carried enough about Korea to fight WWIII over it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Although NATO had the capability to wage a full scale war on the Korean penisula and on into China, and possibly even prevail, it seems to me that the American people would not have supported the war with the resolve necessary to win. Like in Vietnam, I could see public opinion in favor of the war waning because of the casualties and sacrifices that would be necessary to win. For instance, I read in a history book on WW II that the Truman administration was concerned about invading Japan, not because they lacked the military ability to pull it off, but because they felt that the American people would lose heart due to the great number of casualties it would cost to successfully invade the Japanese home islands. (1,000,000) Hence the decision to drop atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
          "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." ~ Marcus Aurelius

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wwagstyl
            Most probable outcome IMO would be that during the UN assault on N Korea the Chinese and Soviets would rattle their sabres, and eventually the UN would back down for fear of actually going too far. End result is that most likely there would still be a N. Korea, but possibly a smaller country than the one now, as UN stops and goes to the diplomatic option.
            Yep, that sounds about right to me.

            But what does "all out" mean -- once the Chinese were combatants (as they became anyway), should we have crossed the border into Manchuria?
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


            "Never pet a burning dog."

            RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes we should have crossed the Manchurian border...at least with air strikes. The handcuffing of our air forces rendered the interdiction of ChiCom supply lines far more problematic than it should have been. From what I recall, Ike’s threat to bomb China (possibly including nukes) was a significant factor in accelerating the peace talks at Panmunjom.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by The Doctor
                Yes we should have crossed the Manchurian border...at least with air strikes. The handcuffing of our air forces rendered the interdiction of ChiCom supply lines far more problematic than it should have been. From what I recall, Ike’s threat to bomb China (possibly including nukes) was a significant factor in accelerating the peace talks at Panmunjom.
                I'm not aware of this...was this Ike as the inbound president?
                Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                "Never pet a burning dog."

                RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Janos
                  I'm not aware of this...was this Ike as the inbound president?
                  That is what I recall reading somewhere. It may have been in Korea: The Untold Story of the Korean War by Joseph C. Goulden...I read this book about 20 years ago...so my memory could be a bit dusty.

                  My recollection was that either during the 1952 campaign or between election and inauguration, Ike made it clear to the PRC that he would attack China if the peace talks didn't start yielding results.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Doctor
                    That is what I recall reading somewhere. It may have been in Korea: The Untold Story of the Korean War by Joseph C. Goulden...I read this book about 20 years ago...so my memory could be a bit dusty.

                    My recollection was that either during the 1952 campaign or between election and inauguration, Ike made it clear to the PRC that he would attack China if the peace talks didn't start yielding results.
                    Thanks.
                    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                    "Never pet a burning dog."

                    RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                    http://www.mormon.org
                    http://www.sca.org
                    http://www.scv.org/
                    http://www.scouting.org/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Could Ike have carried the UN with him (would he have even tried?)? More importantly, could he have carried the American people with him for long enough? I'm not sure on either really.
                      Signing out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Full Monty
                        Could Ike have carried the UN with him (would he have even tried?)? More importantly, could he have carried the American people with him for long enough? I'm not sure on either really.
                        No, not once the Russians came back to the Security Council.
                        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                        "Never pet a burning dog."

                        RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X