UK never abandons Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    The British prime minister had in that case declared war using the Royal prerogative and therefore included in his declaration all the King's realms. This caused quite some reactions (especially in Canada) as the dominions considered that they should have been consulted and given their consent. However it was about the only instance where the British prime minister could unilaterally commit the dominions and even then its legality was seriously called into question.

The Dominions very clearly had home rule and that included immigration law. The "White Australia" policy was enshrined in Australian legislation in which Britain played no part. The degree of independence was very clearly displayed in WW1 when Australia twice decided not to introduce conscription.
    Therefore, the policy enacted within Australia should have had no bearing on the Anglo-Japanese Alliance . No dispute there. But we're addressing external affairs, which,as I tried to indicate, were clarified by the Statute of Westminster which was enacted after the conclusion of the Alliance. If the relationship between Britain and the Dominions was obvious to all why bother with the Statute ?

Further,perceptions are everything and the Japanese may well have viewed the British Empire as a single power block and be unaware of the niceties of the situation: especially as the British supported the heinous "White Australia" policy.vide the proposed "Racial Equality Clause " of 1919.
    Last edited by BELGRAVE; 30 Aug 16, 05:14.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

The Dominions very clearly had home rule and that included immigration law. The "White Australia" policy was enshrined in Australian legislation in which Britain played no part. The degree of independence was very clearly displayed in WW1 when Australia twice decided not to introduce conscription.
      I agree with Mark on this one, at least so far as Canada goes, and I expect it was the same for other Dominions. Section 91(25) of the 1867 British North America Act (BNA Act) specifically gave the Federal Government power over Naturalization and Aliens. Canada also had imposed a head tax on Chinese immigration. Immigration would effect internal conditions way too much to be controlled just by the Imperial British Government. Mind you immigration between the white dominions and Britain could not be restricted until the Westminster Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
        I agree with Mark on this one, at least so far as Canada goes, and I expect it was the same for other Dominions. Section 91(25) of the 1867 British North America Act (BNA Act) specifically gave the Federal Government power over Naturalization and Aliens. Canada also had imposed a head tax on Chinese immigration. Immigration would effect internal conditions way too much to be controlled just by the Imperial British Government. Mind you immigration between the white dominions and Britain could not be restricted until the Westminster Act.
        I don't disagree. Certainly the relationship within the Empire de jure was clearly understood. But externally ?

A small but significant indication ,perhaps, was the Australian cabinet position of "Minister of External Affairs" did not become the "Minister of Foreign Affairs" until 1970 which perhaps shows the de facto position.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          I don't disagree. Certainly the relationship within the Empire de jure was clearly understood. But externally ?

A small but significant indication ,perhaps, was the Australian cabinet position of "Minister of External Affairs" did not become the "Minister of Foreign Affairs" until 1970 which perhaps shows the de facto position.
          I think the issue here is that whatever Japan might have thought about the relationship between Australia & Britain, there was no way in hell we would accept any significant number of non-white immigrants just because the UK wanted us to.

You are correct that we didn't manage our own foreign policy until WW2, though I think we did have independent contact with some nations outside that system on occasions. From what I can work out John Curtin more or less killed off our dependence on the UK to manage foreign affairs during the war, and it was well & truly dead by 1950/51, when we went to Korea without consulting the UK & signed the ANZUS treaty.
          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
            After WWI, the UK had a choice to continue its alliance with Japan or ditch Japan and attempt to court America. In reality, the UK ditched Japan and Japan eventually paired with Germany. The UK ended up losing basically its entire empire in WWII.

Let's say the UK continues its alliance with Japan. How do the 1920s-40s play out?
            I may be wrong but I'd rather say that Japan moved away from UK than the reverse sometimes in the 30's as result of domestic change with the rise of military in Japan politcial landscape.

Comment

Oil ... America had oil and the British and Japan needed it to become or stay a modern industrial society. When we cut off Japan from it's supply they reacted quite violently.
              www.wwiii1946.blogspot.com
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Comment

The US also cut off scrap metal sales and froze Japanese financial assets in the US.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X