Philadelphia as US capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia as US capital

What if Philadelphia was the US capital instead of Washington? More specifically, how does the Civil War play out?

Well, for one the Brits would have burned a more strategically important city during that war.....

As for the ACW, if DC is nothing more than a swampy backwater, I see Maryland going in whole or part over to the Confederates, there was a strong movement to do that but it was quashed pretty decisively since it would have put DC on the horns of a dilemma. As for final outcome, no change, maybe the war drags on for another 6 months or so as there's not the Anvil of DC present to pin quite so many Confederate troops between it and Richmond at all times, and more Maryland regiments join the cause. I would think that southern Pennsylvania would see a lot more destruction from invasion attempts however.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      Well, for one the Brits would have burned a more strategically important city during that war.....

As for the ACW, if DC is nothing more than a swampy backwater, I see Maryland going in whole or part over to the Confederates, there was a strong movement to do that but it was quashed pretty decisively since it would have put DC on the horns of a dilemma. As for final outcome, no change, maybe the war drags on for another 6 months or so as there's not the Anvil of DC present to pin quite so many Confederate troops between it and Richmond at all times, and more Maryland regiments join the cause. I would think that southern Pennsylvania would see a lot more destruction from invasion attempts however.
      I agree with you. But it also would have given the CSA a better avenue to cut the east-west railroads. Like you said, better platform for invasions into PA.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X