If Charles Edward Stuart had stayed in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Charles Edward Stuart had stayed in Scotland

The '45 is often portrayed as a romantic but doomed attempt at Scottish independence. However the young pretender was after the British throne and the march South ending at an inn the South side of Derby was intended to raise English Jacobites in large number (but failed dismally in this). Had he stayed in Scotland and consolidated his position could he have held the Scottish throne? Would he have wanted too? Or would Protestant opposition in Scotland have overwhelmed him anyway?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

He was never that popular in Lowland Scotland. Even in the Highlands there were clans that opposed him. He couldn't even take Edinburgh castle. Most his troops were Highlanders, not Lowlanders.
    If he had stayed in Scotland it would only be a matter of time before an overwhelming force was assembled. If he tried to fight in southern Scitland, he would have faced a large British government army and an unfriendly local population.

His only chance, and that wasn't a real one, was to try and get to London before the government assembled an overwhelming force. And that was never going to happen.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Certainly the '45 rebellion had nothing to do with Scottish independence.
      As stated,Charles Stuart didn't want to be monarch just of Scotland but Great Britain entirely. Why try to march on London otherwise?

Truly a forlorn hope.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
        Prawn heads
        by Karri
        How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
        Today, 11:40
      • Jose50
        Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
        by Jose50
        Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
        Today, 08:41
      • Von Richter
        Sagittarius Rising...
        by Von Richter
        Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
        Today, 01:19
      Working...
      X