Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government of Ireland Act 1914 implemented.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government of Ireland Act 1914 implemented.

Given that it is the hundredth anniversary of the 1916 uprising I wonder what would have happened if the Government of Irleland Act had been implemented in 1914 rather than being suspended soon after the start of WW1.

The Act allowed for six counties of Ulster to stay ruled from London.

Would implementation have prevented the uprising and subsequent independance war as well as numerous terrorist attacks since?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gove...#Ulster_crisis
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Given that it is the hundredth anniversary of the 1916 uprising I wonder what would have happened if the Government of Irleland Act had been implemented in 1914 rather than being suspended soon after the start of WW1.

The Act allowed for six counties of Ulster to stay ruled from London.

Would implementation have prevented the uprising and subsequent independance war as well as numerous terrorist attacks since?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gove...#Ulster_crisis
    I suspect not. every time some one has come up with a reasonable settlement to Irish issues that most people have been prepared to settle for there has been some fanatic group that has been prepared to take a violent stance against it. As it is now so it was then.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      I suspect not. every time some one has come up with a reasonable settlement to Irish issues that most people have been prepared to settle for there has been some fanatic group that has been prepared to take a violent stance against it. As it is now so it was then.
      Regrettably so. I would take it back to the 1880's when Gladstone's reforms might well have led to success had it not been for the House of Lords, sundry assassinations and people like Lord Randoph Churchill saying " Ulster will Fight, and Ulster will be Right ".
      Last edited by BELGRAVE; 05 Apr 16, 18:41.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X