Alternate Outcome Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Outcome Books

There are several good books on this topic out by Harry Turtledove.

2 of my favorites are on Pearl Harbor. What if the Japanese had followed up the attacks with a ground invasion? Second book is how does the U.S. regain the islands.

Very good reads!

He also has some good Civil War related that turn the war and geography upside down!

Originally posted by Cobra1365 View Post

2 of my favorites are on Pearl Harbor. What if the Japanese had followed up the attacks with a ground invasion? Second book is how does the U.S. regain the islands.

Very good reads!

He also has some good Civil War related that turn the war and geography upside down!
    Except, that the invasion of Hawaii by Japan has been hashed out on this and many other boards and has pretty much been thoroughly proven to be unworkable. That is, Japan loses.

You might try The Great Pacific War by Hector Bywater for an alternate that actually has some interesting ideas, particularly as it is written contemporarily rather than after the fact as Turtledove's were.

Comment

Harry Turtledove is the master of the it can't happen alternative history. As well as the most boring books category.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Feel free to move it to the "extreme alternative" thread.

Comment

Here's a thread on this board that goes into excruciating detail about a Pearl Harbor / Hawaii invasion in 1941.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...t=pearl+harbor

or this one:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=11&t=159159
          Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 29 Mar 16, 19:05.

Comment

Believe it or note Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen have written a very good series of books on an alternate American Civil War starting with Lee making some different decisions at Gettysburg.

Gingrich has a long history of revising history but this time he doesn't pretend that he is telling the truth.

The series is quite well done. Much better than any Turtledove book.
            www.wwiii1946.blogspot.com
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra1365 View Post

Very good reads!

I find Turtledove's books quite entertaining-perhaps because, being a foreigner, I miss the finer points of American history that are being bent.
              One series, or more exactly a running theme ,commences with the Confederacy winning the Civil War, with the aid of Britain and France. A rematch in the 1880s.The USA allying itself with Imperial Germany in WW1 and a reworking of WW2 wherein the city of Pittsburg becomes an American Stalingrad. Some of the dialogues and vocabulary used are rather repetitive and wooden, I think, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Niall Ferguson edited a rather more cerebral book dealing with counter-factuals.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X