Italian Coastal Artillery Upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    That was a torpedo action that sank her. Not a gun duel.

Like I said I think Midway was the only time land based guns got a victory...

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
    The German Cruiser was hit by a 18 inch coastal defense gun. Sure, shore based torpedoes could have helped hurry the sinking, but I think the big shell sank her.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      West wall is a case in point. Did the kraut naval guns have any significance on D-Day?
      Its wasn't D-Day, but a little while later up by Cherbourg, the USS Texas was banging away at something, and came away with a smoking pit where its bridge used to be.

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
      HMS Sikh was sunk by shore guns during Operation Agreement, a raid on Tobruk September 1942
      On January 12 1942 Dutch Coastal artillery sinks two Japanese minesweepers w 14 and w 13. In retaliation the Japanese executed 219 men of the gun crews after they surrendered
      Damn... talk about sore losers!

And it sounds like there was already some good Coastal Artillery in place, I wish I could find a comprehensive listing.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

With regards to D-day there is evidence that suggests USS Corry was actually sunk by German Coastal Artillery contrary to the official report

See here:http://www.uss-corry-dd463.com/d-day...st-marcouf.htm

Comment

That's the thing about open minds. You can learn new things and ideas...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I did some back checking and will admit to an error or two. I remembered the Coast Defense Guns outside of Oslo as 18 inch and they were 11 inch. The hits made by these guns did not threaten to sink the ships, it was the torpedo hits.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well, 11" hits on any kind of cruiser would be a disaster, they just aren't armored for that sort of thing.
              But yeah, torpedoes are worse.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                I did some back checking and will admit to an error or two. I remembered the Coast Defense Guns outside of Oslo as 18 inch and they were 11 inch. The hits made by these guns did not threaten to sink the ships, it was the torpedo hits.

Pruitt
                Afaik the torpedoes just finished her. The guns were doing their job and probably would have sunk her. Especially the 15cm gunfire was devastating. In such short range you can actually aim. She was hit over 20 times by the 5.9in guns The gunfire had also damaged her stearing iirc?
                Anyways two Torpedos usually dont sink a 18,000ton man o war

posted from mobile
                Last edited by Hanov; 05 Dec 15, 01:25.
                One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  Sweden too, they had a very nice turreted system for 75mm auto-cannons, good for swatting patrol boats or Subs popping up to deliver commandos.
                  Coastal artillery retained usefulness for a long time for the same reason that artillery is still in use with Armies everywhere; firepower that is not reliant on electronics.
                  ECM can play havoc with those expensive missiles.

However, big turrets like that one are vulnerable to a major hit. They are not huge targets, but they are immobile.
                  You could add layers of concrete to the top for a cheap & easy reinforcement, but there is a limit to what you can do before you ruin the bearing race.
                  You could put them next to a cliff and build out an overhead shield so thick it makes them effectively "bomb-proof"... but if you do you are limiting traverse, and if you have a cliff there you may as well go with a cheaper casemate anyway.
                  Another idea is to build a massive concrete Hood over the turret, one that traverses with the turret but rotates on its own track. As far as I know, this was never tried, the expense might have something to do with this. And that makes sense; the whole idea here is for cheap, basically re-cycled firepower.
                  Finland does have the advantage of bedrock, and there's a lot of positions dating back to WW1 especially, dug in and well protected. Of course, completely immobile as well. The Finnish coastal areas are full of islands etc natural protection so they are still perfect for coastal artillery, although mobile missile systems are of course much better. I think a cruise missile to take out one of those positions cost more than the gun...

Unfortunately I lost all my personal pictures long ago. Hopefully they might still turn up somehow.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Well Karri, here are a couple from your part of the world-

That is probably the finest example of preserved coastal artillery in the world.

And this is the Italian twin 15" turret that used to be near Venice;

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X