Germany Unified Early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany Unified Early?

Anyone got wonder what history would be like if the Germany city states had of unified earlier? I doubt it would have happened in the time I am thinking, but say one of the factions either managed to conquer all of what was the Deutsches Kaiserreich, unified them into a single body, or somewhere in between. Say around the early Napoleonic Era.
    Aside from them maybe not being late the party as far as Colonization is concerned. What do you all think would of happened?

I don't have fully detailed statistics but my impression is that Germany's ascendance in the late 19th century was in part because of disproportionate growth compared to France, which shifted the traditional balance of power. This combined with the unification of the North/Central German princes to create a "sudden superpower" on the European continent which disrupted things significantly. Had they emerged in the Napoleonic or pre-Napoleonic Era, it's possible France would have remained the greatest land power over that period.

Comment

I doubt they would have unified during the Napoleonic or Pre-Napoleonic era. Seeing as until unification they were 'herding cats'.
      However it still is always healthy to speculate and wonder. There would probably be some fracturing at the start most likely if unification did happen at the time we are talking about. I can see Bayern most likely not going along with it. Though I don't know... maybe, but doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheFancy View Post
        Anyone got wonder what history would be like if the Germany city states had of unified earlier? I doubt it would have happened in the time I am thinking, but say one of the factions either managed to conquer all of what was the Deutsches Kaiserreich, unified them into a single body, or somewhere in between. Say around the early Napoleonic Era.
        Aside from them maybe not being late the party as far as Colonization is concerned. What do you all think would of happened?
        Will the Austrians think ? will this Germany be hostile to Austria as Prussia was or friendly ?

Comment

There was, of course The Holy Roman Empire which embraced the territory occupied by the later German Empire -and then some.

But it was not particularly Holy. It certainly wasn't Roman. It was not an Empire. Napoleon put paid to any aspirations of union,at least until 1871.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X