Churchill assassinated 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill assassinated 1943

In "The Eagle Has Landed" a 1943 assassination attempt is made on Churchill.

What would have been the result of the real Winnie being killed in 1943 by Germans on UK soil, before Husky?

Who takes over?

Without Churchill's rodomontade and charisma, can the British keep their peckers up during the Normandy, rocket and industrial crises of confidence of 44-45?

Without Churchill's meddling in his desire for more extreme strategies, is the war likely lengthened or shortened, or any other notable change from OTL?

Last edited by Mifletz; 28 Sep 14, 19:41.

The war would be about the same but the end would go very badly for the Germans.

Say why not have the UK be the good guys one of these times? Seems to me they're always the defeatist boobs who have to be dragged to victory in your little land of alt. history.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

By 1943 I don't think it would have made much difference .

Had such an assassination succeeded in (say) May 1940 it would have been a different story,however.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

If Churchill didn't oppose the Morgenthau Plan Germany would look a lot different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenthau_Plan

I also believe that he stopped several very harsh plans of how to deal with the nazi officers, but lack the exact name of the plan.
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Did Churchill have a "Deputy/Vice Prime-Minister" during the war? eg if he had died of pneumonia in 1943 who would have taken over/become acting PM in the event of his death? Atlee?

Could there have been any contention?
          Last edited by Mifletz; 29 Sep 14, 06:50.

Comment

My guess is that had the Germans pulled it off and still lost the war they'd have longed for the good 'ol days when The Treaty Of Versailles was in force because what would come around after assassinating Churchill would be a brand new kind of hell for them, and longer.
            Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mifletz View Post
              Did Churchill have a "Deputy/Vice Prime-Minister" during the war? eg if he had died of pneumonia in 1943 who would have taken over/become acting PM in the event of his death? Atlee?

Could there have been any contention?
              There's no clear line of succession in British politics. Most likely there'd have been an immediate vote in Parliament to appoint a successor (normally the majority party picks a new PM from among themselves, but with the national government it would naturally be different).
              Diadochi Rising Wargame:
              King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Mifletz View Post
                Of course not. On the one hand Attlee was indeed the vice prime minister. On the other hand he was the leader of the minority party in a national-unity government. Until new elections, the prime minister would have to be a Conservative like Churchill. That means, probably, Eden.

Eden would probably not have flights of fancy concerning military matters as Churchill often had, which would howeever not change a lot of things because fortunately, the British generals often managed to contain Churchill's ideas.
                He was against an extreme treatment of postwar Germany, which is good news for the Germans.
                OTOH he was definitely not of the let-the-past-be-buried school of thought when it came to war crimes, and the questionable way in which Churchill would be removed in this scenario would probably encourage his hawkish stance on this.
                Minor changes, all in all. 1943 is of course too late.
                Michele

Comment

While Atlee wouldn't have become Prime Minister
                  he would have taken control while the parties in the coalition chose a successor, almost certainly Eden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X