Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Axis Powers have won in the Mediterranean and North Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn239
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Glenn, are you figuring on Italian and German trucks carrying gas and POL to the front in East Libya from Tunisia? A pipeline would be more efficient and a rail line would also improve the supply situation.

Pruitt
    I don't know what the optimal logistic solution would be, except that I suspect the transfer of equipment and divisions would take much more time than would the supplies, and that the key bottleneck might be shipping, not port capacity. What it looks like to me is that claims that 'logistics' were Egypt's certain defense look like a Monday morning boast. Seems to me that if the Axis, for some reason, had gone after Egypt instead of Russia, the British would have been severely pressed to hold it.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Glenn, are you figuring on Italian and German trucks carrying gas and POL to the front in East Libya from Tunisia? A pipeline would be more efficient and a rail line would also improve the supply situation.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Moved to Alternate Timelines.

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    Originally posted by Glenn239 View Post
    Broderick's figure of 2.5 mpg doesn't work for gas or diesel trucks. This is a gas powered lorry -

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/blitz36.htm

Cargo 3.3 tons
    Fuel gas, 25ltr per 100km, on road = 9.39 miles per gallon.
    I considered this. There is no data given as to whether this is a laden fuel consumption nor is any speed given (there is an optimal speed for best fuel efficiency and it varies from design to design).

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    Are German diesel supply trucks made of a special form of anti-matter that only explodes if it comes in contact with Tunisian soil?
    Question: How many diesel trucks did the Wehrmacht have?

Answer: Only a few.

Why? Because the diesel was generally reserved for the KM's submarines.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn239
    replied
    18 divisional equals each requiring 400 tons / day (combat, moderate intensity) = 7,200 tons/day.

18 divisional equiv. at 100 tons per day (inactive) = 1,800 tons.
    Supply build-up (5850 tons 1800 tons inactive) = 4,055 tons day.

7,200 tons (combat consumption 5,855 (daily delivery) = 1,345 tons/day.
    Required accumulation for 30 day offensive assuming 7,200 tons consumed and 5,855 tons replenished daily = 1,345 * 30 = 40,350 tons

Days to accumulate 40,350 tons in depot at 4,055 tons accumulated per day = 10 days.

Conclusion - the buildup to 18 divisional equivalents in Africa and the establishment of the truck supply line would take much longer than the buildup of the supplies necessary to execute an offensive.

Distance to a theoretical supply head 300 miles from Alexandria
    Gas (7lbs per gallon) + 5lbs per gallon (all other supplies) = 12lbs /gallon for supplies consumed on supply route.
    Rate of advance 20mph, but two trucks in North Africa for every 1 truck currently in transit.
    Benghazi (2000 tons capacity/day) = 606 trucks. 800 miles round trip at 20mph = 1.7 days.
    Tripoli (2000t/day) = 606 trucks. 1,800 miles round trip = 3.75 days
    Tunis/Bizerte (6000t/day)= 1818 trucks 2,700 miles round trip = 5.6 days.
    Total Trucks required 26,921
    Benghazi: 606*1.7*2 = 2,060 trucks
    Tripoli: 606*3.75*2 = 4,500 trucks
    Tunisia: 1818*5.6*2= 20,361 trucks.
    Supplies consumed/delivered = distance/ 9.39 mpg * 12lbs supply per gallon consumed = 5,855 tons/day/
    Benghazi: 6,600lbs - 1022lbs = 5,578lbs delivered * 606 trucks = 1,690 tons/day
    Tripoli: 6,600lbs 2300lbs = 4,300lbs delivered = 1,302 tons/day
    Tunisia: 6,600lbs 3,450lbs = 3,150lbs delivered = 2,863 tons/day

Leave a comment:

• Glenn239
    replied
    Originally posted by Hanov View Post
    I think Brod wonders if all the captuted French gear runs in Diesel as well. Personally i have no clue.
    Broderick's figure of 2.5 mpg doesn't work for gas or diesel trucks. This is a gas powered lorry -

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/blitz36.htm

Cargo 3.3 tons
    Fuel gas, 25ltr per 100km, on road = 9.39 miles per gallon.

Leave a comment:

• Hanov
    replied
    I think Brod wonders if all the captuted French gear run on Diesel as well. Personally i have no clue.

posted from mobile
    Last edited by Hanov; 25 Sep 14, 14:26.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn239
    replied
    Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    It's a diesel - they get better fuel consumption than benzine engines.
    Are German diesel supply trucks made of a special form of anti-matter that only explodes if it comes in contact with Tunisian soil?

Leave a comment:

• Glenn239
    replied
    Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
    I don't deal in fantasy... lcm1
    If the Axis Powers had seized Tunis and Algeria, Gibraltar is shut down and the Atlantic route to Malta would be too dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn239
    replied
    Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
    That does not follow at all.

Using your logic...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...al)_per_capita

In 1961 the GDP per capita in Tunisia was 402 vs. 295 in Libya. With the population of Tunisia being about 3.5 times that of Libya in 1940, its total economic output might have been 4-5 times that of Libya in 1940. Coupled to that the trade opportunities inherent in being part of the more advanced French Empire.

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    http://www.populstat.info/Africa/libyac.htm
    http://www.populstat.info/Africa/tunisiac.htm

Tunisia population (1940) - 2.84 million
    Libya population (1940) - .861

Tunisia's port capacity will therefore be higher and its infrastructure more evolved in 1940.
    Only if it is conducting more trade.

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/m/mblg63.htm

This truck could carry 2,800kg plus a max 2,000kg by trailer, with a gas consumption of 30ltr per 100km (road) or 45/100 (offroad), which is 7.8 mpg
    on road.

[
    It's a diesel - they get better fuel consumption than benzine engines.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Just imagine if we sent the pacific fleet into the med. for a couple of weeks. There would be nothing let of the Italian navy and their air force would be looking for holes to hide in. And if it happened by surprise the axis air force would be decimated.

Leave a comment:

• lcm1
    replied
    Only a fantasist of the most determined sort could imagine the Gibraltar route would be usable should Axis airpower be established in Algeria.
    I don't deal in fantasy G2, ( or ifs ) the Axis never ever gained total airpower in that area or sea power either!! Yes it looked dodgy at times but they did not have the STAYING POWER which was the type of power that was needed! lcm1

Leave a comment:

• Desiree Clary
    replied
    Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
    That does not follow at all.

Using your logic any country with a higher population has more evolved infrastructure and higher port capacity.. Currently Bangladesh has a higher population than Canada. Would you therefore argue that its port capacity is higher and its infrastructure is more evolved than Canada's?
    Have to spend some Rep around, but +1

Susie

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X