Earlier Sturmgewehr increases Allied jabo losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see...

A platoon of 30 men with Sturmgewehr (not Sturmgeschultz) and the fliegerthingie attempt to take on a pair of fighter bombers (P-47, P-38, Typhoon, whatever...) that are going to strafe and bomb / rocket their positions.

The STG 44 has an effective range of about 300 yards and an accurate range of about 100 yards.
    Their fliegerthingies can shoot to about the same 300 yards. They also have 3 MG 42 effective to 500 yards let's say.

The planes are in range of those weapons for seconds at most. Let's say 5 seconds (that's generous and a long time to be firing an automatic weapon). That's about 800 yards where the plane is in range more or less.

They can get off 30 rounds (1 clip) each for a total of 720 shots from the STG 44's or they can fire 144 fliegerthingie rounds.

They get off 300 to 450 rounds of MG 42 fire (assumes belt fed with assistance).

The planes are barely in range of any of these weapons except the MG 42 and even that is firing at long range. They are all trying to correctly lead a target moving several hundred miles an hour (unless you assume they are simply spraying and praying). I'd say there is in excess of a 90% chance they get no more than a few ineffective hits at most, the fliegerthingie being useless (fires too slow and the velocity is too low) and it is likely they get zero hits.
    In exchange, the machinegun / cannon fire of the planes and then the 500 lbs bombs and 80 lbs rockets tear the Germans a new one seeing as how they are standing mostly exposed to fire these weapons at the planes instead of cowering at the bottom of their foxholes where they are far more safe from being hit by any of the fire.
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 06 Sep 14, 15:56.

Comment

This is just plain silly. Did you read about the wittle wocket wauncher?

Wankers from Wanker County...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Flieger fausts were about as much use as a Vatican condom machine weren't they?

Comment

It'd be fun to watch some idiot trying to fire one though.

It'd be pure comedy gold...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

The only result would be ammunition shortage as the Germans spray a few hundred million bullets and manage to shoot down a duck or two. Allied planes would, come worst, fly a tad bit higher.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Lord I wonder what's next? We ought to hold a contest. See who can come up with the most absurd wunder weapon. (And use it in the most absurd flight of fantasy.)

We've got 2 strong contenders...
              Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Lord I wonder what's next? We ought to hold a contest. See who can come up with the most absurd wunder weapon. (And use it in the most absurd flight of fantasy.)

We've got 2 strong contenders...
                On that note maybe a contest for who can come up with the most insane, yet minimally plausible, absurdity in weaponry? I know I can think of a few...

Comment

Originally posted by Mifletz View Post

It is claimed that had the MP42/43/44 been fully available to the Germans earlier it could have won them Stalingrad, Monte Cassino and Bastogne.

If the SS in the final battle scene in "Saving Private Ryan" had all been firing MP44s even Ryan would not have made it.....and maybe even the Mustang at the end would also have been downed!

Although damage from the Kurz round against post-1943 aircraft above 100m would be marginal, at Normandy the Anglo-American jabos flew at 100-500', as here
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwJ47nmduQ

Would 30 German soldiers in the bocage ordered to all aim in the path of at one Tiffy and placing 900 rounds of 7.92x33 in its path have made enough impression on the armoured glass, cockpit armour and monocoque construction to increase the Allied loss rate to flak from a constant drizzle to a pain?

After all, a Stug44 was good enough for Tintin (after whom Wallonian SS Leon Degrelle was reputedly modelled) to bring down a Mossie!

Would not have made any difference. People who post examples on faster firing pieces of kit do not understand the weight of ammo. 10 rounds of rifle ammo weighs about one pound. When I was in, and at my fittest, which is more years than I want to remember, around 90-95 Ibs would be my absolute limit on the daily ability to carry weight. That is not enough to only carry ammo for a MG42 firing on full burst for a minute. Ammo is heavy, like water.

Anyone who has been a Squaddie knows that theory and real life are two seperate concepts.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The slogan for USAAF tactical pilots in 1944 was "1000 up and 1000 back". Meaning 1000 feet or over 300 meters from the enemy ground fire. All the 20, 37, and 50mm AA gunfire was effective beyond 300 meters, but the experienced tactical support pilots knew to tay out of range of the small arms.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    The planes are in range of those weapons for seconds at most. Let's say 5 seconds (that's generous and a long time to be firing an automatic weapon). That's about 800 yards where the plane is in range more or less.
                    Note that the HMG, cannon, rockets, and bombs of the aircraft all are effective from beyond 300 meters. Most close in air attacks had weapons activation between 2000 & 300 meters from the aim point. That is to say the attack is over before the aircraft is in range of the infantry weapons, and the aircraft is turning/climbing away.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                      All the 20, 37, and 50mm AA gunfire was effective beyond 300 meters, but the experienced tactical support pilots knew to tay out of range of the small arms.
                      What the Germans needed was some decent mobile flak

Comment

What they needed was more aircraft, the fuel to operate them and most importantly more skilled pilots. Fighters are disproportionally more effective than AAA any day.

Proximity fuzes wouldn't have hurt though.
                        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Nah what they needed was to off hitler then surrender.

Silly boy...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mifletz View Post
                            What the Germans needed was some decent mobile flak

You mean what the Allies already had hum...?

Comment

Comment

The ones I showed went into production and quite a few were actually manufactured. The two British vehicles were issued in large numbers to their armored formations before D-Day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X