No announcement yet.

Custer in WWII.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Custer would have fared much better in modern war, where after WWI the Western world of how to fight, finally changed from one of a parade ground to more of Custers rapid action, that was a head of his time, rather than the old way of waiting for every set piece to come into play just perfect before you can fight, like the generalship of old, and junior officership of old that were stuck in the cautious, set piece past, instead of willing to carry out more advanced tactics, and got Custer and a 200+ others killed.

Custer would have been a great Panzer Commander, I could see Custer ignoring high commands orders and racing his Panzer to Dunkirk unlike Rommel and Gudarian, and screwing up the evacuation. Yes many of his men might have died, but the rest of the Wehrmacht would have a much easier time winning the war right then in there. I call it the Trevilian Station II

Comment

I could see Custer doing very well in modern war. After WWI the marching band parade ground style of battle finally gave way, in it's place the rapid, multiple front, force of action style of warfare was employed. Custer was very much ahead of his time.

He only looked careless because his men had to do so much of the fighting while many other officers were to busy following the traditional parade ground, wait for everything to be just perfect, and hope the enemy stays just the way you want them to by the time you are ready to attack style of warfare, that most of the casualties took place before their men ever got to the fight, and dying from all the exposure of a never ending war.

The evolution of Warfare has proven Custers methods of rapid movement, Deep penetration into the enemys interior lines, Recon in force instead of days and days of planning while the enemy watches your every move, Multiple front cover and advance, and that when in doubt most of the time, the aggressor has the advantage. Many a greater army has broken up and fled because the other side attack like they were the stronger force.

His down fall was his high command was designed a strategy based on the Civil War, against a guerrilla force, and Junior officers were to accustomed to the old sit in one place and take as good as you get, and you should avoid fighting as much possible, so the enemy leaves, and we can go back to camp and stay drunk. "Reno" and "Benteen".

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        December 25th, 1941;
        "Major G.A. Custer, USMC, disobeyed the orders of the Naval Commander of Wake Island and organized a counter-attack that broke the back of the Japanese invaders at a critical moment. Despite severe casualties and the lose of one hand, Custer managed to consolidate his gains and forced a second withdrawal by the Japanese invaders.
        It has been estimated that it will require at least 3 weeks for the IJN to make another assault on that brave garrison. 'Time enough' said admiral Nimitz, 'to secure the island properly, and ensure the survival of the garrison.'"

When it comes right down to it, were he and Chesty Puller really that different?
        8th June 1944 General Custer is forced into surrender after the catastrophic failure of the D-Day landings it is estimated that 145,000 American and Allied troops were killed and a further 100,000 captured.

Comment

From what I've heard of him he would seem to have been more suited to a career in the Einsatztruppen.

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
            From what I've heard of him he would seem to have been more suited to a career in the Einsatztruppen.
            Then you have heard from other idiots that know nothing about him other than the 20th century hippie liberal arts cartel, unwittingly regurgitating the slander of the Corrupt Grant Administration, that employed the real genocidal criminals that wanted the extermination the Native Americans. He was never a genocidal killer of Indians. At Washita he was ordered by Sheridan to kill every Indian, wipe them out. the death toll was likely somewhere between 30 and 90. Custer made up a max number of 116 to appease the Grant administration He took much sympathy for the situation of the Indians. What got him in trouble with the Grant administration was testifying before congress about the terrible conditions of the Bureau of Indian Affair Reservations, do to Grants Cronies misappropriating and gouging the congressional funds for Indians Food and Supply's.

"If I was an Indian I would much rather cast my lot with my own kind and take my chances out on the planes than live without pride on an Indian Bureau Reservation" Custer .

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
              8th June 1944 General Custer is forced into surrender after the catastrophic failure of the D-Day landings it is estimated that 145,000 American and Allied troops were killed and a further 100,000 captured.
              Wow Custer as division commander was leading 245,000 men. Wow he must have been a great general!

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyBunnyFeet View Post
                Wow Custer as division commander was leading 245,000 men. Wow he must have been a great general!
                Incredible, isn't it?
                But that's the level of Historical acumen you are dealing with in a PC world.

Makes you wonder what the rest of the English-speaking world is being told about all of the other Famous Americans, don't it?
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
                  How would Custer do as an armor officer in WWII?

Let us say he is in the 4th Armored Division under MG John S. Wood. I think he does great commanding a battalion or even a combat command under a division commander like Wood.

But could he have done Wood's job and commanded the 4th Armored Division during the breakout in Operation Cobra, the encirclement of Nancy, the dash across France, the relief at Bastogne, etc.? That's where it gets iffy for me. B.H. Liddell Hart once referred to Wood as, "the Rommel of the American armored forces." I can't see Custer like that.

I think Custer would have been great at battalion command or even combat command. I think he would have been iffy at division command but he might have managed it okay if the corps commander was outstanding. I think he would have been a flop at corps command. Patton probably would have relieved him as a corps commander.

An army commander? Never. He would have been a disaster. He could not have done Patton's job.
                  I think the American command structure would have been too structured and intolerant of his eccentricities. If he could have coped with these command imperatives, he may have performed to the level of an Abrams.
                  Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Not so, just swapped Eisenhower for Custer, he's in charge of the whole shebang.

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Roddoss72

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by FluffyBunnyFeet

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      Incredible, isn't it?
                      But that's the level of Historical acumen you are dealing with in a PC world.
                      Indeed. The 245,000 men number is incredible considering the original number of Allied soldiers ashore at the end of 6th June was barely 170,000. Perhpas Mr Roddos was using hyperbole to underline sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
                        Not so, just swapped Eisenhower for Custer, he's in charge of the whole shebang.
                        He wouldn't have gotten that Job. His temperament would keep him at Divisional level, no higher than brigadier General 2nd, Ike got along with nearly everybody, and had a real talent for organization

Most other US Generals would not dealt well with Patton,Monty and De Gaulle, and Marshall knew that

Even had Custer somehow got that Supreme Commander Job for Torch, he wouldn't have kept it by time Sicily rolled around.

Comment

Then you have heard from other idiots that know nothing about him other than the 20th century hippie liberal arts cartel, unwittingly regurgitating the slander of the Corrupt Grant Administration, that employed the real genocidal criminals that wanted the extermination the Native Americans. He was never a genocidal killer of Indians. At Washita he was ordered by Sheridan to kill every Indian, wipe them out. the death toll was likely somewhere between 30 and 90. Custer made up a max number of 116 to appease the Grant administration He took much sympathy for the situation of the Indians. What got him in trouble with the Grant administration was testifying before congress about the terrible conditions of the Bureau of Indian Affair Reservations, do to Grants Cronies misappropriating and gouging the congressional funds for Indians Food and Supply's.

"If I was an Indian I would much rather cast my lot with my own kind and take my chances out on the planes than live without pride on an Indian Bureau Reservation" Custer .
                          I can only know what I've been taught or read,if that was all misinformation then I apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                            I can only know what I've been taught or read,if that was all misinformation then I apologise.
                            Well you better apologize, Custer derived from the ancient German surname Custance, which derived from my grandmothers maiden name Constance. Meaning that chances are somewhere around 1300 C.E. Custer and I had relatives that might have been friends on Plaguebook. Making me and Custer practically brothers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X