The Knights Templar/Knights Hospitallers are brought back/revamped to fight IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
    Ground interventions an idea so 'seriously flawed'. Support whatever coalition fires up this fall with air strikes, and that's it.338-1219181406-taliban-obama.jpg

eden sheep wolf.jpg

Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.jpg

Lordy, Afghanistan and Iraq cost the USA between 4-6 TRILLION dollars- and you got- what?
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Well, the operations are somewhat different. You're looking at a brigade in strength, operating within a smaller footprint, with less of a supporting element. By contrast, all anbar province had the balance of a division, with a couple of additional support brigades, plus a brigade worth of aviation.

So yes, I think that such a force is reasonably doable under the constraints. It won't be capable of regime change or large independent operations. But that isn't important. Sometimes you don't need a sledgehammer. You need a rapier. And what I Invision would be more of a rapier, who h could operate solo in some circumstances, and with a coalition in others.

Imagine what a brigade of good squaddies would have done in south Sudan. Lots of people could have been saved from displacement or death.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        Well, the operations are somewhat different. You're looking at a brigade in strength, operating within a smaller footprint, with less of a supporting element. By contrast, all anbar province had the balance of a division, with a couple of additional support brigades, plus a brigade worth of aviation.

So yes, I think that such a force is reasonably doable under the constraints. It won't be capable of regime change or large independent operations. But that isn't important. Sometimes you don't need a sledgehammer. You need a rapier. And what I Invision would be more of a rapier, who h could operate solo in some circumstances, and with a coalition in others.

Imagine what a brigade of good squaddies would have done in south Sudan. Lots of people could have been saved from displacement or death.
        Are you related to the late Champagne Charlie?

( the last picture is Kabul women- 1978)
        Attached Files
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          So frit, are you envisioning each company having a different personality, so far as the missions they train and equip for? As this is a volunteer force, I'm seeing knights competing for missions, and trying to show that they're the best suited to the most mission types. That would likely mean some serious effort being put into maximizing bang for the buck. Though I suspect that there would be agreements on a separation of missions within battalions.... some companies focusing on open terrain, some on engineering, some on urban warfare, and maybe even a couple of ambitious knights building a company exclusively of parachutists, or scuba divers. Basic training would need to be joint... to create a general sense of unity, but with the units generally operating independently, some competitive spirit could result in a lot of focus on nonstop training and create a very professional unit.

I think that funding would be interesting. Certainly there would be a general fund. However I can also see one affectation of the old days. That being that some knights and masters will likely try to get private sponsors. I see a basic forbiddance on corporate sponsors. However, many things within the church have always run on private money, so keeping donations to specific units out might be impossible.
          Exactly. Each company would take on its own persona. In the US Army and other armies they build off their mottos and nicknames, coming up with unique traditions springing from them. This not only improves morale it builds unity and creates competition between units. I like the idea of having self-sustaining battalions. Sort of like mini brigade combat teams with all the necessary components to fight independently. You can have these battalions specialize in certain aspects of warfare like scouting, infantry, engineers, air assault, airborne, maintenance, logistics, etc. Yeah basic training as a whole would be best to create a sense of unity of purpose and basic skills.

As far as funding goes, I think there could be one organization collecting donations for the effort. Collection could be set up in every Catholic church in the world as well as online. It would exist separate from humanitarian charities. I don't see why corporate donations can't be accepted, so long as they have no influence on how operations are to work. I agree donations shouldn't be parceled out by unit. It should be distributed evenly to best accomplish the mission. Working closely with petrochemical companies could benefit both parties after their victory, although they should allocate a portion of their revenue to help the Kurdish state.
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

I guess English would be the lingua franca of this crusader army.
            texjoy861 from youtube:

"Aaron Sorkin writes like a limousine liberal version of Ayn Rand. None of the characters sound remotely like human beings."

Comment

More likely Spanish or French. A lot of Africa speaks French. There are a lot if spanish speaking catholics in the world.
              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

No No NO NO NO. We must pick Latin, Greek, or Aramaic.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I would say Latin as an official language of knights.... and build lances around common languages.

Maybe run a program so that within a year or two all personnel know basic militarily useful Latin
                  Last edited by TacCovert4; 06 Sep 14, 21:55.

Comment

So....presuming some basic funding level.... how would you equip your company?

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      No No NO NO NO. We must pick Latin, Greek, or Aramaic.
                      Nope. American English. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Do you really think the Americans are going to approve a language they don't understand?

Regards
                      Scott Fraser
                      Last edited by Scott Fraser; 07 Sep 14, 02:13.
                      Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
                        Nope. American English. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Do you really think the American are going to approve a language they don't understand?

Regards
                        Scott Fraser
                        Sure, America does a lot of stupid things. We foot the largest portion of funds for the UN and let it walk all over us.

By choosing a language that is not American English, it will be seen less of a project of the Great Devil.

Although the three languages I proposed did the most in spreading Christianity they all predate the religion. French would be a bad choice as it was the primary language of the Crusaders.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X