No announcement yet.

More Sturmgeschutzen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you good folks ID this one for me, please?
    Attached Files
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

A relatively early StuG IIIG towed by a M 31 ARV.

You can tell it is an early model by the bolted on applique armor and smoke dischargers and boxy gun mantle.

Comment

Mmmmm. Tough one. The lower hull sides lack the small escape hatches that were on models up to the Pz IIIG and most StuG IIIF/8 had bo;ted armour. The box shaped mantle was pretty much standard on the StuG III models. The STuG IV had the boars head (rounded) mantle if memeory serves.

While it may not be a late model G I don't think it was an earlier conversion. Without more resources at hand I will wager an F/8 or (as you noted) early G model.

Any takers?
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
          Mmmmm. Tough one. The lower hull sides lack the small escape hatches that were on models up to the Pz IIIG and most StuG IIIF/8 had bo;ted armour. The box shaped mantle was pretty much standard on the StuG III models. The STuG IV had the boars head (rounded) mantle if memeory serves.

While it may not be a late model G I don't think it was an earlier conversion. Without more resources at hand I will wager an F/8 or (as you noted) early G model.

Any takers?
          The hull could be a later one with the superstructure being earlier as the two simply bolt together. It could well be an F8 that was rebuilt with a new superstructure. It might even be a rebuild from a Pz III return to the factory.
          Late StuG III and IV both get the saukopf mantle. Very late ones have a coaxial machinegun added in the upper left of the mantle as well. Late model vehicles also have an added bit of armor in front of the cupola for the commander to eliminate that shot trap and frequently have added concrete armor in front of the flat plates.

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
            An old fable from the fifties broadcasted by Klein,Speer and such persons .
            Actually I got my info from the BBC History Magazine dated May 2013 I on their "Great Misconceptions of World War Two". I extrapolated two articles from this called "Germany boasted a highly mechanised fighting force" which was debunked by James Holland and the other article "The Axis could have won the war" covered and debunked by Joe Maiolo.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              A relatively early StuG IIIG towed by a M 31 ARV.

You can tell it is an early model by the bolted on applique armor and smoke dischargers and boxy gun mantle.
              You're right. It's not an F/8 as it has a vertical rear to the fighting compartment and a commanders cupola, both indicative of the III G.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X