US drops atomic bomb on Berlin . .. would the US have done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US drops atomic bomb on Berlin . .. would the US have done it

Greetings . . . I know this is a what if . . .but dang it it is an extremely interesting problem.

If available would the US have dropped the bomb on Germany to end the war if the war had gone on long enough?

Edit: The US didn't have a problem, or much of one, incinerating German cities with the help of England . . . so I think ya, probably.
    Last edited by TDurden; 13 Aug 14, 14:36.
    Elsa: [reading Jacob's palm] "See. According to this, you're already dead."[laughs]
    Army Officer: "Mr. Singer. What an appropriate name for a man who can't shut up."
    "Jacob's Ladder"

That was the plan from the very beginning to use it on Germany.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

In 1942 SecWar Stimson told General Groves, if the war could be ended one day sooner by faster production of a working atomic bomb, "save that day."

Absolutely, yes. The assumption behind the "no" answer - "We would not have bombed Berlin because Germans are whiter than Japanese" - has no credible historical support.
      "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
      -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        That was the plan from the very beginning to use it on Germany.
        Didn't remember that. Guess I have to re-read my atomic bomb history
        Elsa: [reading Jacob's palm] "See. According to this, you're already dead."[laughs]
        Army Officer: "Mr. Singer. What an appropriate name for a man who can't shut up."
        "Jacob's Ladder"

Comment

Originally posted by TDurden View Post
          ...The US didn't have a problem...incinerating German cities with the help of England...
          For the most part, the USAF in Europe dropped high explosive munitions in daylight bombing runs; the British, flying at night, preferred the incendiaries, possibly since the Germans had used incendiaries on the British earlier in the war.

Whether the atomic bomb would have been used in Europe is, as you state, speculation, but my money says Truman would have given thought to it.

Comment

There is an interesting Der Spiegel [Online] International article:

Remembering Hiroshima: The Bomb that Was Meant for Hitler

By Klaus Wiegrefe

Sixty years ago, US President Harry Truman ordered the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It was a weapon of unprecedented power, and one that changed the face of warfare and international politics forever.

Google the title to find the article.

Comment

Not to have used the bomb as soon as it became available (in the case of both Germany and Japan) would have meant a huge reversal in intent, especially given the absolutely enormous cost in time, money and resources needed to develop it.

Philip
              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Truman and the Hiroshima Cult has some interesting information on this topic.
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

The conventional bombings from Hamburg to Dresden were rather harsh affairs themselves, I do not think they would have hesitated using a nuclear bomb. I wonder, where people aware what a big deal the atomic bomb was, or was it to them "just" a super-explosive?
                  Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                  Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                  USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
                    The conventional bombings from Hamburg to Dresden were rather harsh affairs themselves, I do not think they would have hesitated using a nuclear bomb. I wonder, where people aware what a big deal the atomic bomb was, or was it to them "just" a super-explosive?
                    I have searched extensively and not found a citation for any "force multiplier" that involved radiation or "fall out". I would be happy to see such if found, please.
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
                      There were lots of theories about it. Everything from dud to causing the end of the earth via, I think, initiating an unstoppable chain reaction.

After the successful testing of the weapon I believe they knew for certain it was more than just a super explosive.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                        There were lots of theories about it. Everything from dud to causing the end of the earth via, I think, initiating an unstoppable chain reaction.

After the successful testing of the weapon I believe they knew for certain it was more than just a super explosive.

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        Absolutely right, but ignorant of all the nasty details, eh
                        "Jacob's Ladder"

Comment

If the invasion of the Japanese mainland had taken place, there were plans to use atomic bombs as 'battlefield weapons' and would have had U.S. forces moving through irradiated landscapes. So I guess the planners had little or no idea about the radiation effects.

However, the time between the first test at Los Alamos and the actual use of the bomb was so short, there was very little time to do any conclusive study to measure the effects of the radiation left behind by the explosion.

Philip
                          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                            If the invasion of the Japanese mainland had taken place, there were plans to use atomic bombs as 'battlefield weapons' and would have had U.S. forces moving through irradiated landscapes. So I guess the planners had little or no idea about the radiation effects.
                            There are pictures of Groves and Oppenheimer standing at Ground Zero of the Trinity Test. After it went off, of course.
                            However, the time between the first test at Los Alamos and the actual use of the bomb was so short, there was very little time to do any conclusive study to measure the effects of the radiation left behind by the explosion.

Philip
                            The USSBS guy visited Hiroshima and Nagasaki in October, and they didn't bother getting radiation levels IIRC.
                            Hyperwar, Whats New
                            World War II Resources

Comment

Nor do I or "The Children of the Manhattan Project"+

http://www.mphpa.org/classic/index.htm
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X