The Great Martian War 1913-1917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Martian War 1913-1917

If you can catch this on BBC America (thanks to TAG), do so. They've done it as a great copy of the History Channel documentaries, even noting that it is the 100th anniversary of the start of the conflict.

A very good show.
    Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 03 Aug 14, 21:48.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

It was on BBC America. A nice spoof of WW 1.

Comment

I have it on DVR and am waiting for some time this week to sit down and watch it.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

It was entertaining.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Watched it. Was entertained. Basically just a retelling of "War of the Worlds". Some good acting, was surprised a bit ('specially from the old lady).

Wondering a couple of things though...

If the aliens has used a sounder strategy, would it have changed things (making multiple landings across the world--or at least Europe--to divide the defender's strength).

If they had used sealed cockpits in their herons and kept the virus out.

Russia invading Germany from the East, the Austrians/Serbs seizing advantage of the chaos and attacking one another.

Meh...putting too much thought into it. My apologies.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Watched it. Not bad. I have several degrees in history and my SO kept asking if any of this was historically accurate as to the history of WWI without the Martians? What thinks you?

Comment

Originally posted by LtCol View Post
              Watched it. Not bad. I have several degrees in history and my SO kept asking if any of this was historically accurate as to the history of WWI without the Martians? What thinks you?

Like using ineffectual tactics that did nothing to win the war, while wasting millions of lives over many years?

yep, that's WWI for you

Comment

True...are there any books that can explain why the generals continued with such tactics after proven wrong? I guess because of the anniversary I have been reading much in recent weeks about the start of WWI.

Comment

Originally posted by LtCol View Post
                  True...are there any books that can explain why the generals continued with such tactics after proven wrong? I guess because of the anniversary I have been reading much in recent weeks about the start of WWI.
                  They did, for the most part, change tactics as much as they were able. Thing is, the enemy changed theirs in reaction. Limitations on industry and trained manpower, as well as the existence of overriding strategic imperatives hamstrung greater reform attempts for all powers to some extent.
                  Diadochi Rising Wargame:
                  King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

One thing I didn't like about it is that the Allies didn't change tactics, equipment, etc., to fit their opponent.

Now, I understand that the producers were limited by footage of WW 1 and changing tactics, equipment, etc., would have been difficult to do and maintain the flavor of the movie as they wanted to present it.
                    But, in reality the combatants would have adapted to the Martian's equipment and tactics.

Comment

This seems to be on topic, but I found this at Gencon, and am now assembling models and getting ready to play:

http://www.architectsofwar.com/allqu...tianfront.aspx

For those (sci-fi) military table top gamers amongst us.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X