Unternehmen Rosselsprung: Tito captured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unternehmen Rosselsprung: Tito captured

If the German April 1944 raid had succeeded in capturing Tito, what would have been his fate?

Taken to Berlin, tried and executed?

Or was he considered a combatant under the Geneva Convention, and he would have been put in a POW camp?

Without Tito's leadership, do the partisans still fight on, or melt away, liberating the German 7th Army to fight in Italy or join Army Group Center, slowing the Soviet advance somewhat?

If Tito had been killed, what would have been Yugoslavia's fate after the war? Would Stalin have moved in, influencing the Greek civil war? Even seeing a Soviet-British military clash?

Could a non-executed Mihajlovic have emerged as the Tito-like strong man?

Or does it immediately degenerate into a Balkanised war, with the five separate nations of 2000 emerging in 1950 instead?

Last edited by Mifletz; 17 Jun 14, 13:36.

Given your scenario, I reckon Tito would have been tortured for information and then executed - probably strung up.

As for Yugoslavia, well, unless someone else of Tito's character was available to fill the gap it is possible/probable that British support may have lessened or even been withdrawn and Stalin's local poodles take over.

I don't think there would have been a boots on the ground intervention into Greece by the Soviets, but they would have given a lot more aid to the local Communist groups and been a general pain in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
      Given your scenario, I reckon Tito would have been tortured for information and then executed - probably strung up.

As for Yugoslavia, well, unless someone else of Tito's character was available to fill the gap it is possible/probable that British support may have lessened or even been withdrawn and Stalin's local poodles take over.

I don't think there would have been a boots on the ground intervention into Greece by the Soviets, but they would have given a lot more aid to the local Communist groups and been a general pain in the butt.
      Yeah, pretty much. Greece was a line drawn in the sand, so intervention was out. Without Tito, sooner or later the Soviets would have occupied Yugo.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X