Arctic convoys called off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic convoys called off

The disaster of Convoy PQ17 meant that 200 aircraft, 400 tanks, and 3000 vehicles didn't reach the Russians. PQ18 was also a near disaster.

If the Germans had shut down the Arctic convoys already in May 1942 by annihilating (ie not one merchant ship gets through) PQ16, could the Russians have survived without this materiel, or were they absolutely critical?

Good scenario!

Material-wise, I don't think it would have been key. However, its impact on Stalin's attitude towards the West would have been interesting, as its impact upon Soviet aggressiveness.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Good scenario!

Material-wise, I don't think it would have been key. However, its impact on Stalin's attitude towards the West would have been interesting, as its impact upon Soviet aggressiveness.

I think the Arctic convoys did have a material effect on areas of the Eastern Front - particularly in the earlier years before supplies really got into gear via other routes. But, as you say, the effect on feelings and morale on the part of the Soviets, from the Kremlin to the cities and the battle fronts could well have had even greater impact.

Comment

Not only that but it prevented the Germans, Norwegians and Finns capturing Murmansk. Had the Arctic Convoys stopped then Murmansk is seriously under threat of capture as the Soviet 14th Army now must rely on supply from Leningrad and not the docks of Murmansk.

The Soviet 14th Army in a worse case scenario runs out of supplies, can't be resupplied from an already besieged Leningrad and it is attacked, destroyed and the Axis gains al all year round naval and supply base.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X