What could the Red Army have done better? 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    I see, of course the artillery was just one example, if as you say they got the best, the situation - if it existed - would have been even more strongly felt in other areas.

To move around huge mech corps and supply them takes a lot of trained professionals, bureaucrats, for lack of a better word - who need not necessarily be the bravest of fighters but need to know how to organize a road march, establish depots, keep open communications etc.

This "tail" was one of the German strong points, if it was a Soviet weak point it may have been a major contributing factor to the disaster.
    Indeed, the Soviet logistics and overall level of organisation of military and civilian infrastructure at the time was very often inadequate. I haven't read any detailed studies on that, but judging by some examples I'm more closely acquainted with, any time the Soviet authorities faced an organisational challenge which required improvisation and clear and direct orders, the results left much to be desired. The only notable exception was the evacuation of industry, but it was carried out in accordance to the plans adopted long before the war, and even in this case there were a lot of problems. On the other hand, it would be interesting to contemplate what their Western counterparts would've done under such conditions of extreme stress.
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
      I referred to the thread in Russia forum where you said the negative stereotyping was OK. Please go there and continue the discussion.

It's been for a dozen of posts you've been whining about me calling you a bigot. How lame can it get?
      You think any thing most westerners type on here is to be attacked as bigoted or stereotyped against Russia yet you accuse people you disagree with of whining but its all you do about this issue. Maybe its what the voices in your head tell you. You're on a western website for Christ sake and you claim you want to change perceptions about your country but your just an argumentative obtuse SOB. This obsession lives in your head 24/7 it seems. Anything YOU don't agree with is biased , idiotic blah blah. This is to you what "Islamofascim" or Obama's place of birth is to the right wing American nut jobs in Politics Central. You're a liar and there's no reasoning with you. One guy wrote to me today and said, that you know a lot about stuff but there's some thing wrong with your brain. Before I just thought you were a bit odd but now I'm really seeing his point. I know what I intended this morning and it wasn't vaguely what you ended up lying about. If you're still bothered get your phone out and call some one about it because I really don't give a . I'll let you have the last word, I mean lie...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
        You think any thing most westerners type on here is to be attacked as bigoted or stereotyped against Russia yet you accuse people you disagree with of whining but its all you do about this issue. Maybe its what the voices in your head tell you. You're on a western website for Christ sake and you claim you want to change perceptions about your country but your just an argumentative obtuse SOB. This obsession lives in your head 24/7 it seems. Anything YOU don't agree with is biased , idiotic blah blah. This is to you what "Islamofascim" or Obama's place of birth is to the right wing American nut jobs in Politics Central. You're a liar and there's no reasoning with you. One guy wrote to me today and said, that you know a lot about stuff but there's some thing wrong with your brain. Before I just thought you were a bit odd but now I'm really seeing his point. I know what I intended this morning and it wasn't vaguely what you ended up lying about. If you're still bothered get your phone out and call some one about it because I really don't give a . I'll let you have the last word, I mean lie...
        Oh, what a stream of sick and hurt consciousness Good riddance, now the thread is clear.
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Emperor is tired with all this ****. Stop in or behold his fury.
          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
            Indeed, the Soviet logistics and overall level of organisation of military and civilian infrastructure at the time was very often inadequate. I haven't read any detailed studies on that, but judging by some examples I'm more closely acquainted with, any time the Soviet authorities faced an organisational challenge which required improvisation and clear and direct orders, the results left much to be desired.

The only notable exception was the evacuation of industry, but it was carried out in accordance to the plans adopted long before the war, and even in this case there were a lot of problems.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to contemplate what their Western counterparts would've done under such conditions of extreme stress.
            Well there's another notable exception of course and that's way new armies were raised and shoved in the way of the German offensive all through 41.

The Soviets were quite performant in the rear areas, it's just that entire formations, sometimes counting over a thousand tanks "evaporated" as soon as they came into contact.

It seems high command realized the shortcomings as they fairly soon reverted to smaller mech units - more easily managed - attached to infantry rather then huge independent ones.

There's little need to contemplate the last point - one can simply look at May 1940 for comparison, allowing for obvious differences of course.

tnx for the replies.
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 09 Jan 14, 03:22.
            Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X